Easton College set for Norfolk Cup final in debut rugby season
Easton College's rugby academy will face Langley School on Wednesday after reaching the Norfolk Schools' County Cup final in their inaugural year.
The academy was launched in September to allow students to complete their academic studies, while improving rugby skills and furthering their sporting careers.
The first intake has now gone a step further in the competition for schools and colleges – aged 16 to 18 – and can count on good support when they face Langley at North Walsham's Scottow base (6pm).
'We think it is a remarkable achievement in only our first year,' said Jonny O'Brien, academy manager.
'Students on the course get five hours a week professional coaching by Nick Greenall, head coach for North Walsham, and Simon Roberts, and they've come on tremendously.
'Their success is a great boost for the academy and for college sport in general, and we hope to increase numbers to 20 or more for the next rugby course from September.'
O'Brien is delighted to see the academy preparing some of the future stars of the game, with county player Callum Caldwell and Ollie Ware part of the impressive first intake.
- 1 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 2 Revealed: Buyer of Norwich Airport Industrial Estate - and what they paid
- 3 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 4 Overnight works on stretch of A47 prompt 50-mile diversion for two weeks
- 5 Neighbours describe axe brawl in Norfolk village
- 6 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
- 7 A-levels 2022: All the results from Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 Man in his 20s dies after hit-and-run
- 9 Crews battle overnight house fire in north Norfolk
- 10 Several roads closed in King's Lynn due to crash and police incident
Prospective students must be club-standard players with a passion for rugby and a commitment to their education, having already attained at least four GCSEs (grades A to C) including English.
The course also gives youngsters access to a new strength and conditioning suite, cutting edge video analysis, psychology and lifestyle mentoring, as well as the opportunity to gain additional coaching, refereeing and gym instructor qualifications.
• For more details, contact Jonny O'Brien at Easton College on 01603 731218 or email firstname.lastname@example.org