Thurlow Nunn round-up: Norwich United up to third after Long Melford win
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Norwich United moved up to third place in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division with a hard fought 1-0 victory over Long Melford.
George Watts-Sturrock scored the only goal of the game in the 15th minute, heading home Charlie Hitch's cross from the right at the far post.
The Planters thought they should have had a penalty when Ben Jones was brought down in the box and Liam Jackson missed a good chance to double the lead when he headed wide shortly after the break.
Luke Pearson had to dive full length to deny a Hassan Ally shot but the home defence were resolute throughout.
Joint managers Garth Good and Dan Goffin were delighted with the three points. 'It wasn't our best performance today, but we showed great character and determination not to lose. There are aspects we could have done better, but such a defensive display gives us a foundation to build upon in upcoming games.'
You may also want to watch:
Histon remain top of the table after a 5-0 win over Wroxham whilst Kirkley & Pakefield are in fifth after a 3-3 draw with FC Clacton. Liam Harvey-Cooper (two) and Jack Herbert getting the Royals' goals.
Thetford Town are just behind in sixth after a 3-0 win at home against Hadleigh thanks to goals from Quevin Castro, Andrew Wood and Valter Rocha.
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 6 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 7 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
- 10 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
Peter Lambert got the winner in Gorleston's 2-1 win at home against Newmarket Town. Joe Watts had equalised in the first half after the Greens fell behind.
Great Yarmouth Town went down to a 1-0 defeat home against Framlingham.
Harleston Town stayed top of the First Division after a 6-2 win at home to Cornard United - Nathan Stone (two), Kyle Baker (two), Jake Imrie and an own goal doing the damage.
Mulbarton Wanderers are second as goals from Sam Whiting and Ben Thompson gave them a 2-0 win over Downham whilst Swaffham are just behind after a 5-1 win against AFC Sudbury. Joe Jackson and Ryan Pearson both bagged braces for the Pedlars whilst Alex Vincent was also on the scoresheet.
Norwich CBS hammered Felixstowe & Walton 8-1. Paul Cook (two), Stephen Drake (two), Tobias Oliver (two), Luke Tuttle and Shaun Wones getting the goals.