Eastbourne Borough 1 Lowestoft Town 2: Reed at the double for Trawlerboys

Jake Reed ( R) of Lowestoft Town scores to make it 2-1 during the FA Trophy match at Priory Lane, E

Jake Reed ( R) of Lowestoft Town scores to make it 2-1 during the FA Trophy match at Priory Lane, EastbournePicture by Paul Terry/Focus Images Ltd +44 7545 64225729/11/2014 - Credit: Paul Terry/Focus Images Limited

Two quality strikes by Jake Reed secured an FA Trophy first round proper slot for Lowestoft Town for the third time in five years.

The Conference North outfit were deserved winners as they battled their way to their first away win of the season against an Eastbourne side that lacked the cutting edge so effectively provided for the visitors by Reed.

Now, after three years and 14 away ties in the FA Cup and Trophy, the Trawlerboys are hoping and praying they will at last be granted a home game when the draw is made today.

But while Reed was the unanimous choice of the man-of-the-match accolade, every Lowestoft player produced 90 minutes of honest endeavour even without regulars such as Chris Henderson, Robert Eagle and Lee Smith who are all sidelined by injuries.

There was little to choose between the two sides in a goalless first half of few clear-cut chances with Reed showing his intentions from the start.

The in-form striker got the better of Ian Simpemba on the left, cut in and his fierce low drive was well saved by Lewis Carey at the second attempt.

There were appeals for spot-kicks at both ends. Shaun Bammant was nudged over by Simpemba and Jack Ainsley was hit on the hand in penalty area incidents, but referee Lee Venamore rightly waved both away.

Most Read

The ever probing Gavin McCallum looked the biggest threat to Lowestoft, but the solidity of centre backs Rickie Hayles and Sam Gaughran provided excellent protection for returning keeper Ashlee Jones.

Visiting fans screamed for a red card when Frankie Raymond's clumsy challenge left Curtis Haynes-Brown writhing in agony. Raymond was shown a yellow card as was Erkan Okay minutes later for a high and possibly revenge challenge on Raymond.

As half-time approached, the Trawlerboys were inches away from taking the lead as Ainsley's corner flashed across the face of the goal skimming the head of Hayles.

The 57th minute introduction of Darren Lok for Matt Parsons almost proved the undoing of the visitors with Lok's header from Raymond's corner fractionally too high.

But in the 65th minute came the moment of the match. Curtis Haynes-Brown's excellent cross from the left eluded two defenders and Reed charged in from the right to hit a volley that cannoned into the far top corner of the net.

Luck seemed to be on the side of the visitors when a mis-hit effort from Lok rolled agonising off the post and into the grateful arms of Jones.

But on 75 minutes Lok finally hit the target, heading home a Raymond corner that threatened to take both sides back to Lowestoft for a replay.

Although the momentum was very much with Borough, the Trawlerboys refused to lie down with that man Reed having the final say.

With 10 minutes remaining, a long ball down the middle by sub Bradley Woods-Garness was cleverly controlled by Reed who sidestepped Simpember before curling a sweet drive past the helpless Carey.

It seemed that Lowestoft would have to survive a desperate finale before being sure of a first round place and that £4,000 prize money from the FA, but in fact the real action was at the other end where both both Reed and late sub Jefferson Louis went close to increasing the visitors' lead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter