Early risers are rewarded
Chris BishopWEST & THE FENS: Get up early if you want to bag. That's the inside info at Springside, where one bleary-eyed angler nailed 16 carp including three doubles in a frantic two-hour session on his way to work.Chris Bishop
Get up early if you want to bag. That's the inside info at Springside, where one bleary-eyed angler nailed 16 carp including three doubles in a frantic two-hour session on his way to work.
Method feeder in the margins did the damage, starting at 4am. Despite the fact the fish were queuing up for it, the angler left at 6am. Now that's dedication for you.
Early doors and evenings seem to be when the fish are on the feed. A series of evening matches kick off tonight, which could provide some interesting pointers.
Fishery boss Mick Cornell reckons it's performing better than ever, with bream between 3 and 6lb boosting weights. Best haul so far is 37 of them, for well over 100lb.
Some nice roach are there to be had, with 8oz - 1lb samples showing among the slabs, while some serious tench to 6lb have also been putting in an appearance.
Tench have been over-shadowed by carp, carp and more carp, over the last decade or so.
- 1 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 2 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 3 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 4 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 5 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 6 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
- 7 John Bailey: Lord Botham, our cricketing angler/conservationist
- 8 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 9 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 10 Protests planned against soaring fuel prices
But for those old enough to remember Mr Crabtree-esque dawns and bubbles around your float they're a magical summer quarry.
Under your feet is the place to catch the tincas, while bream have been responding better to the waggler or long pole, with meat fished over groundbait. Carp also seem to be in margin mode.
Despite this, you can still get a bite more or less every chuck on maggot from the small roach and rudd which seem to swarm in every peg.