Dunston Hall beat Barnham Broom in thrilling Gillieson Cup final
- Credit: Archant
The ladies of Dunston Hall lifted the Gillieson Cup for the third time after finally coming out on top in an exciting final at Eaton Golf Club.
Sharon Black's team followed up their successes in 2010 and 2012 by seeing off Barnham Broom 2-1 in a wonderful climax to the prestigious county competition.
With two matches having been decided, and the score delicately poised at 1-1, it all came down to the second encounter between Dunston Hall's Julie Carpenter and Chrissie Owens and Barnham Broom's Tara Davies and Tina Burton - and what a thriller that was.
It looked bleak for the Dunston duo when they found themselves three down with four to play but they showed tremendous spirit to win three holes on the trot to get it back to all square, before a good putt on the last from their opponents took it to extra time.
With a good-sized gallery following the match down the par five first Barnham Broom reached a greenside bunker in two while their opponents were short of the green in three - but it was Dunston Hall who prevailed in the putting contest that followed, much to the delight of their proud captain.
You may also want to watch:
'It really was a nail-biting end to a wonderful match, with so many people watching on,' she said. 'Both teams had excellent support and a big thanyou goes out to all those who came along and helped make it such a special day.
'I am so proud of all the team, and that includes Sue Hill and Penny Frost who played for us in the earlier rounds.'
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 6 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 7 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 8 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 9 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
Black won the County Championship in 2013 but said the latest cup win meant just as much to her.
'The county title is the one you want to win as an individual and the Gillieson Cup is the one you want to win as a team. They are both equally important,' she added.
Black teamed up with Lynda Love for the opening match against Jo Ashmore and Bev Dennett and ended up on the wrong end of a 4&3 scoreline.
The match was levelled up by former county captain Sue Henderson and Annie Baker who came through a nip and tuck battle with Megan Mann and Vicki Warner 2&1.
Results (Dunston Hall names first): Sharon Black (7) and Lynda Love (19) (rec 4) lost to Jo Ashmore (3) and Bev Dennett (15) 4&3, Julie Carpenter (9) and Chrissie Owens (12) (rec 1) beat Tara Davis (5) and Tina Burton (15) at 19th hole, Sue Henderson (6) and Annie Baker (22) (rec 3) beat Megan Mann (5) and Vicki Warner (18) 2&1.