Dragons seen off by high-flyers Saffron Walden
EAST WOMEN'S LEAGUE: Norwich City lost out narrowly at home to St Ives in Division 1N despite Christie Jones giving them the lead in the first half.
Unfortunately, having taken a 1-0 lead into half time, City promptly conceded two goals in the second half, which was a bitter pill to swallow. It was, however, good to see the return of Molly Grange after a knee injury.
Norwich Dragons lost out narrowly to Division 1N high-flyers Saffron Walden on Saturday. It was Dragons who started the more spritely of the two teams playing some positive attacking hockey and took an early lead through a fine finish by Emily Rolls from a short corner routine. Saffron Waldon reacted immediately and scored from a short corner to bring the game level and they took the lead before half-time. Nat Beal levelled matters after good work from Laura Shreeve but Walden almost immediately regained their advantage. Dragons showed great character and finally got their reward three minutes from time when Clare Baker scored. Dragons were left stunned though as a lapse in concentration in the dying minutes of the match allowed Walden to score from the restart and they got another in injury time to make it 5-3.
Broadland went down to Loddon in Division 2NE despite a spirited performance. Despite dominating the first half they only had Tracey Buxton's effort to show for all their efforts. In the dying seconds of the first half Loddon managed to conjure a goal out of nothing and to rub salt into Broadland's wounds they also found a winner.
Sprowston claimed a creditable win at Ipswich III thanks to a fine performance in 2NE. Ipswich took the lead and they quickly doubled this lead. Sprowston fought back through and goals from Carolyn Fildes and Georgie Mackenzie got them level.
You may also want to watch:
Becky Cox bagged a brace to make it 4-2 and although Ipswich pulled a goal back Kerry Hamilton made the final score 5-3.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 8 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 9 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job