Downham Town cricketers poised for indoor finals at Lord’s
- Credit: PA
The cricketers of Downham Town have a date at Lord's to look forward to tomorrow.
The Norfolk Alliance club have proved to be a force to be reckoned with in the indoor game this year, winning a place in the ECB's national finals at the home of cricket.
Town play at 11am tomorrow against Southern area champions Salisbury Athletic (Hampshire), with the winners of that one meeting either Northern Area winners Spondon CC (Derbyshire) or Eastern champions Broadstairs CC (Kent) in the final.
They booked their date at Lord's by coming through the Midlands finals at Edgbaston earlier this month.
Town were paired with Herefordshire champions Burghill and Tillingham in their semi-final and chased down 106 with an over to spare. In the final they played Birmingham Premier side and Warwickshire indoor champions Walmley and chased down a tough target of 140, with Pat Yates making 61 and Joss Stuart 37 not out.
- 1 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 2 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 3 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 6 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 7 Critics hope to deal significant blow to controversial NDR Western Link
- 8 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 9 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 10 Teenage girls in hospital after unprovoked mob attack