Downham Market go karter competes in first international race
- Credit: Ian Burt
Oliver Clarke recently competed in his first international race against 34 other drivers from around the world - and finished in a promising fourth place.
The 13-year-old, from Downham Market, competed in the first round of the Academy Trophy in Essay, France and reached the impressive position after starting the final in 8th place.
Oliver said: 'I am very proud of my performance in my first international race. It was a great experience, I learnt so much and enjoyed meeting all the other drivers.
He added: 'I'm really looking forward to the next round in Portugal and hoping to improve on my results.'
Oliver also won all three heats when he joined the Fortec Motorsport team in the first round of the Formula Kart Stars Series, a championship endorsed by Bernie Ecclestone and Formula 1 bodies.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'I was delighted to get the place on the Fortec Kart team and the result is just the icing on the cake.'
He added: 'It's also great to be the first person to win in the Fortec team as this is a debut for them in kart racing.'
- 1 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 6 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 7 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 8 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
Oliver recently graduated from Honda Cadets after becoming a British karting champion last year.
Oliver is looking for sponsorship. If you can help, call 01553 810851. Also keep up with his progress through his Facebook page Oliver Clarke racing.