Double joy for Rix at Wroxham

The curtain rose on eight days of intensive sailing on Wroxham Broad in traditional style at the weekend.

Winds were somewhat blustery and variable on Saturday and less blustery, indeed summery yesterday, but still prone to swing from north west to south west to the confusion of several of the competitors.

The main event was the four race series in which two dozen BODs contested the Tidcombe Salver, with the Clabburn Broads OD Trophy as a last race bonus.

In the event Stu Rix went home with both despite finishing out of the top four in the first race. His discard being satisfactorily disposed of he went on to win the second on Saturday and then followed up with a third and a last race victory to emerge on top by four points.

In his wake, some of the time, Anthony Boardman collected a win and a second to edge into runners-up spot, one point clear of the slightly more consistent Rob Johnson, who counted a fourth and two thirds.

Jimmy Tubby started well, winning the first race, but thereafter could do no more than a last race fifth, while Bill Rhodes blossomed in the second and third races with second places, putting him into fifth overall.

By the time the BODs had finished the small, in both senses, Optimist fleet had sailed the first of their two races for the NBYC First Optimist Shield.

Most Read

Alex Knight won this one, from Billy Johnson, but Johnson came through to take the afternoon race, and the Shield with a decisive win over young William Pank, while Knight slipped one point adrift with a third out of the five.

In the main event of the afternoon, the YBOD race for the Jubilee Challenge Cup, 32 starters put in a spot of traditional Wroxham Week practice, with a general recall and subsequent imposition of the black flag rule, and then proved that they could all stay the right side of the line when necessary.

Bill Whipp got well away ahead of Patrick Richardson, who took over by the first mark, closely pursued by Mike Evans, David Talbot, and the three expected leaders on the form of Chris Bunn, Ian Tims, and Matthew Thwaites, in that order.

As the race progressed Bunn, with Nikki Tansley crewing as usual, pulled into the lead on the third round. Richardson, crewed by Stuart Press, briefly recovered at the windward mark, and then Bunn surged away to a comfortable win.

The wind shifts had caught several competitors on the wrong tack and the shifts caught a number of others unawares, but eventually Tims and Peter Reeve fought their way past Evans and Thwaites to take third gun, Bunn collecting the main Trophy, Richardson the Martin Cup, and Tims the Seafarers Pennant

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter