Double delight for Tiueti
Lowestoft & Yarmouth 14, Woodford 7: Despite dominating most of the game, L&Y struggled to put away a very determined and streetwise Woodford team who pressured them all the way to the final whistle.
Woodford have only won one game so far but they proved what an even league this is because L&Y have lost to worse teams already this year, and were ultimately pleased with the way they closed out the game.
Woodford enjoyed a monopoly of possession for the first 10 minutes but couldn't dent an organised and calm L&Y defence.
It was obvious from the start the visitors were reading the referee's loose interpretation of the offside line much better than L&Y and to the home side's credit they did well to keep their composure. Woodford missed a penalty and it was L&Y who scored first after a superb Scott Nelson punt to the corner set up the line-out from which Russ Chapman released fly-half Dave Tiueti, whose show and go took him under the posts. Chapman converted but as has been too regular an occurrence this season, L&Y almost immediately conceded a soft score out wide when the Woodford wing skipped past his man and round to the posts for the fullback to convert.
Shortly before the break, a superb tackle by Josh Fewkes was followed with a turnover by his back row teammate Steve Adams and swift hands by Nelson, Myles McAlone and Tiueti almost set James Gee over. In the scramble the Woodford prop was sinbinned, L&Y opted for the scrum and after one piece of stout defence, another penalty and a quick tap by Marc Thomas, Tiueti powered through for his second score, again converted by Chapman.
You may also want to watch:
The second half was a scoreless affair but full of full blooded commitment by both teams. Woodford barely troubled the L&Y line but their fullback kept returning Nelson and Tiueti's kicks with interest and their pack kept up the fight. Both Gee and McAlone nearly made it over the line, but in the end L&Y were content to play it tight and run out the clock for a deserved four points.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 6 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 7 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 8 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 9 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk