Diss Town ease themselves further away from Ridgeons League relegation battle

There was a tale of two penalties as Diss Town beat Haverhill 1-0 to ease themselves further away from the Premier Division relegation battle.

The first came in the 36th minute when Tangerines keeper Matty Webster brought down Joe Harvey – and Stuart Wardley smashed the spot-kick against the bar.

Wardley's day went from bad to worse in the 58th minute when he was sent off for denying Stuart Jopling a scoring opportunity – and Stuart Garner converted for the only goal of the game.

Tangerines boss Rob Taylor felt that it was 'a scrappy game in which we put in a fine battling performance and defended so well that Matty Webster hardly had a save to make.'

Kirkley & Pakefield also edged further towards survival when drawing 1-1 at Clacton.

Paul Tong sent them out 'to play with no fear' and they certainly started strongly – going ahead after eight minutes when Chris Baker won a penalty which Dominic Smith converted.

Baker and Danny Block both went close to extending the lead before Clacton got into the game, eventually equalising just before the interval.

Most Read

Though the second half proved a battle to hang on, Tong admitted he was as delighted with the performance as the point.

First half goals from Louis Cutajar and Ian Hunter gave Norwich United a 2-1 home win over Premier Division strugglers Walsham-le-Willows. They went ahead when Jordan Blyth's first-time shot was well-saved by Duncan McAnally, only for Cutajar to bundle the ball home at the far post. The second came just before the interval when Hunter's first-time shot beat McAnally with the help of a deflection. Charlie Robinson pulled a goal back for Walsham-le-Willows in the 81st minute.

A goal in each half extended Yarmouth's winless away record as they fell to defeat against third placed Ely City. Ben Lawrence gave the hosts the lead after 14 minutes before Josh Bridgeman capitalised on Richard Gammon's persistence to poke home the second.

An injury time equaliser denied Gorleston a third successive win, forcing them to settle for a 1-1 draw at home to Wivenhoe.

The Greens dominated the first half with 13 attempts on goal but had to wait until nine minutes from time to go in front through Christy Finch.

They paid for not making their earlier dominance count when they gave the ball away in midfield with time running out and Wivenhoe substitute Ben Licence ran in unchecked to sidefoot to equalise.

Wisbech Town completed a double over Hadleigh by coming from behind to win 2-1 in Essex. Jack Cawley put Hadleigh in front from their first meaningful attack after 19 minutes but Chris Bacon equalised from a corner just before the interval and Nick Davey scored the Fenmen winner midway through the second half.

Wisbech's home game against Gorleston tomorrow has been switched to an 8pm kick-off at the request of the Greens.

In Division One, Thetford moved up to second by beating Stowmarket 4-1 with a hat-trick from Matt Dixon. They moved above Whitton, who were held by Cambridge UP.

Fakenham lost 1-0 at home to Halstead