AFC Sudbury 1 Dereham Town 4: Magpies get off to flying start

Danny Beaumont was on target for Dereham Town. Picture: Ian Burt

Danny Beaumont was on target for Dereham Town. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Ian Burt

Dereham returned to winning ways after a great first half at the Kings Marsh Stadium.

They were awarded an early penalty when Ryan Crisp was tripped in the box in the second minute. However, home keeper Curtis Child made a great save from Danny Beaumont's spot kick.

The Magpies immediately attacked again down the right and after racing past his man Rhys Logan's cross-shot was deflected into the net from close range in the fifth minute.

As the visitors' bright start continued in the ninth minute Owen Murphy's long ball down the left was flicked on by Crisp to Beaumont who fired home a clinical low 20-yard drive to increase Dereham's lead.

After home keeper Child made another fine save to deny Crisp, the lively Logan received Jamie Forshaw's pass inside the box and beat Child with a low drive to put Dereham three up with only 16 minutes gone.

Shell-shocked Sudbury regrouped and began to keep hold of the ball better without creating any chances. In the 25th minute keeper Elliot Pride had to be alert to turn Jake Clowsley's dangerous cross to safety.

The visiting keeper was then forced to punch clear Ryan Horne's inswinging corner. As the home side threatened again, Dereham defender Ollie Ebbage made a vital block from Reece Dobson's close-range effort in the 39th minute.

Most Read

The Magpies were in a commanding position at the break, but Sudbury immediately got themselves back into the game after the break when Mekhi McKenzie pulled the ball back to Ben Hunter who curled the ball home in the 48th minute.

From the restart Dereham won a corner on the right, Beaumont's centre fell to Ebbage near the penalty spot and he drilled the ball home to restore the Magpies' three-goal advantage in the 50th minute.

The home side created another good chance with Clowsley finding Dobson in an advanced position, but the striker fired into the side netting.

The visitors then came close again with Logan completely outpacing his man on the right but his cross flew past Beaumont at the far post.

Sudbury's Tom Maycock delivered a deep cross from the left towards Ben Hunter in the 77th minute but from point-blank range the midfielder dragged his shot wide. This turned out to be the home side's last opportunity as the Magpies took the points.

AFC Sudbury: C Child, T French, J Clowsley, W Crisell (T Maycock 58), I Millar, J Wright, B Hunter, B Holland, M McKenzie, R Dobson (T Dettmar 66) R Horne. Subs not used: S Mills, J Colcough.

Dereham: E Pride, O Murphy, J Anema, R Linford (L Mason 70), O Ebbage, M Castellan, R Logan, D Hinton, R Crisp (A Jarvis 72), J Forshaw (S Kelleher 83). D Beaumont. Sub not used: A Bean.

Ref: Mr D Harrison

Att: 202

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter