Dereham Town knocked out of FA Cup at Conference North Boston United

Luke Tuttle found the net, again, for Dereham on Saturday. Picture: Matthew Usher.

Luke Tuttle found the net, again, for Dereham on Saturday. Picture: Matthew Usher. - Credit: Matthew Usher

Dereham Town's FA Cup journey was brought to an end in the second qualifying round as they fell to defeat away at Conference North promotion hopefuls Boston United, writes Ed Colman.

Despite defeat Magpies boss Matt Henman said he was proud of his side's spirited performance.

He said: 'I think it says a lot that we are coming away from the game disappointed that we haven't won. The boys showed great spirit and character all the way to the end and they did themselves and the club justice and I am very proud of them and the way we showed what we are all about.'

Boston scored with the their first chance when Matt Hockley conceded a needless corner after eight minutes, which Danny Meadows played out to Zac Mills, whose shot from around 30 yards out deflected off David Fallah and into the net.

Dereham responded well with Michael Clunan going close to finding his side an equalising goal from a quick near post free-kick, after 16 minutes. However his effort was denied by a great save from Boston keeper Sam Vince.

You may also want to watch:

The visitors continued to look dangerous going forward and produced two great chances in quick sucession after 25 minutes. First Hilliard saw his shot blocked on the line, before a powerful long range Ryan Hawkins effort was only just kept out by Vince.

Luke Tuttle finally made his side's pressure tell after his orignal ball to Hawkins was held up well before being played back to him, allowing him to fire past Vince giving his side a deserved equaliser.

Most Read

Boston restored their lead before the break when Dayle Southwell headed home Rene Steer's cross to restore the Boston lead.

Both sides pressed in the early stages of the second half but the first chance of the half didn't come until the 66th minute, when Clunan went close to making it 2-2 from a dangerous free-kick, but Vince produced another great stop.

Boston lived dangerously for large spells but with 70 minutes on the clock a slip from Matt Howard allowed Zac Mills to shoot past Andrew Wilton.

Dereham contiued to battle but despite a string of chances they were unable to alter the scoreline as the hosts progressed to the next round of the competition.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter