Dereham Town 1 Kempston Rovers 3: FA Trophy frustration for Magpies
- Credit: Archant
Dereham Town's FA Trophy campaign is over for another year as they were beaten 3-1 by Kempston Rovers at Aldiss Park.
In the opening minute Kempston's Josh Crawley had an opportunity to chip home keeper Elliot Pride but fired into his arms.
Kempston hit the front in the 21st minute when Nathan Tshikuna held the ball well before finding Luke Heneghan inside and he struck a superb curler into the top corner of the net.
Dereham responded well with Owen Murphy playing a one-two with Beaumont but his drive just evaded the far post. Dereham remained positive with David Hinton, Beaumont and Murphy combining to create another chance.
In the 33rd minute Hinton was crudely upended 30 yards out and Beaumont hit a fierce low drive that cannoned back off the post.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham got the equaliser they had been threatening in the 39th minute when Hipperson went on a penetrating run before slipping the ball to Beaumont who coolly slotted home.
At the start of the second half the Magpies won a corner on the right and Gatting's header skimmed the bar.
- 1 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops project
- 2 Shop worker receives complaints for asking customers to wear face masks
- 3 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 4 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 5 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 6 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 7 'We don't want to close': Farm shop makes plea for support during lockdown
- 8 Dog dies and another missing after getting lost in snow
- 9 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 10 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
In the 59th minute Gatting was denied when his low diagonal drive was saved by visiting keeper Martin Conway.
Tshikuna came close for Kempston when his shot on the turn hit the base of the post.
Kempston scored the all important second goal in the 82nd minute. After winning possession in midfield the ball was slipped through to Heneghan who ran on and netted past the approaching keeper. Minutes later Kempston sealed victory when the ball was played through to the unmarked Ben Acquaye who had the simple task of picking his spot from 12 yards.
Dereham: Pride, Murphy, McLeish, Hinton (Forshaw 83), Ebbage, Frary, Wengrzik (Linford 70), Smith, Gatting, Hipperson, Beaumont. Subs: Edge, Manning, Quantrell.
Kempston Rovers: Conway, Akinine, Simpson, Sambu, Collard, McNulty, TsHikuna, Shepherd, Crawley (Deacon 81), Bush (Acquaye 54), Heneghan. Subs: R Goodman, J Hall.
Referee: Mr J Burridge