Debut goal for Jarvis as Dereham bounce back with six-goal haul
- Credit: Archant
Dereham made a timely return to form with a convincing win.
Neal Simmons' men were boosted by new signing Rossi Jarvis and fit-again Jamie Forshaw – and they delivered the goods.
Jarvis benefited when home keeper Joe Simmonds pushed the ball out from a free-kick and the debutant drilled it into the roof to put the Magpies in front in the 14th minute.
Two minutes later Grays were on level terms, Kieran Bishop flicking home from close range.
But Dereham they regained the lead in the 37th minute after Ryan Crisp robbed Stanley Muguo in an advanced position and went on to round keeper Simmonds before slotting home.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham made a terrific start to the second half when Rhys Logan sped forward before hitting a low drive that keeper Simmons failed to claim and Ashley Jarvis netted from close range in the 47th minute. From their next attack the Magpies increased their advantage. Logan's ball from the right reached Karol Wengzik – who had replaced Crisp just before the break – at the far post and the youngster coolly slotted home his first senior goal for the club in the 49th minute.
Eight minutes later Jarvis rounded Simmonds before dispatching his second and Dereham's fifth goal of the afternoon. The Magpies kept up the pressure and added a sixth goal in the 72nd minute. After Logan's initial drive was blocked the wide man chipped an inviting ball into the six-yard area enabling Forshaw to head home and complete the scoring – perfect ahead of the trip to Bowers & Pitsea on Tuesday and the home game against Soham Town Rangers on Thursday.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
Grays: Simmonds (Thompson 60), Mahal, Folkes, Cohan, Halle, Finneran, Muguo (Poole 55), Cole, Bishop, Carlos (Bruce 66), Wade. Subs not used: Gigi-Ibiama, Stuart.
Dereham: Pride, Beaumont, Castellan, Hinton, Ebbage, Jarvis (Cox 90), Logan, Borrer, Crisp (Wengzik 41), Forshaw (Katsande 76), Jarvis. Sub not used: Kelleher.
Ref: C Pearce. Att: 213