Debut goal for Jarvis as Dereham bounce back with six-goal haul
- Credit: Archant
Dereham made a timely return to form with a convincing win.
Neal Simmons' men were boosted by new signing Rossi Jarvis and fit-again Jamie Forshaw – and they delivered the goods.
Jarvis benefited when home keeper Joe Simmonds pushed the ball out from a free-kick and the debutant drilled it into the roof to put the Magpies in front in the 14th minute.
Two minutes later Grays were on level terms, Kieran Bishop flicking home from close range.
But Dereham they regained the lead in the 37th minute after Ryan Crisp robbed Stanley Muguo in an advanced position and went on to round keeper Simmonds before slotting home.
Dereham made a terrific start to the second half when Rhys Logan sped forward before hitting a low drive that keeper Simmons failed to claim and Ashley Jarvis netted from close range in the 47th minute. From their next attack the Magpies increased their advantage. Logan's ball from the right reached Karol Wengzik – who had replaced Crisp just before the break – at the far post and the youngster coolly slotted home his first senior goal for the club in the 49th minute.
Eight minutes later Jarvis rounded Simmonds before dispatching his second and Dereham's fifth goal of the afternoon. The Magpies kept up the pressure and added a sixth goal in the 72nd minute. After Logan's initial drive was blocked the wide man chipped an inviting ball into the six-yard area enabling Forshaw to head home and complete the scoring – perfect ahead of the trip to Bowers & Pitsea on Tuesday and the home game against Soham Town Rangers on Thursday.
- 1 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 2 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 3 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 4 One person rescued after crash on A47
- 5 ‘We need action now’: Flood hit Broads business backs river barrier calls
- 6 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 7 Tribute to keen mountain biker who died on ride
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Idah out, Hugill back in for Canaries?
- 9 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 10 Ambulance chief: 'I'm sorry.... things will get worse before they get better'
Grays: Simmonds (Thompson 60), Mahal, Folkes, Cohan, Halle, Finneran, Muguo (Poole 55), Cole, Bishop, Carlos (Bruce 66), Wade. Subs not used: Gigi-Ibiama, Stuart.
Dereham: Pride, Beaumont, Castellan, Hinton, Ebbage, Jarvis (Cox 90), Logan, Borrer, Crisp (Wengzik 41), Forshaw (Katsande 76), Jarvis. Sub not used: Kelleher.
Ref: C Pearce. Att: 213