Dereham Town 3, Ely 2
Dereham maintained their perfect start to the season when they scored a late winner following a hard fought game at Aldiss Park.
Borror replaced the injured Adam Smith in the Magpies line up as they looked for their second league victory of the new campaign.
The Robins came close with Richard Chadwick turning a long throw into the box narrowly off target. Dereham responded with Shaun Bammant weakly glancing a Craig Bussens centre into the keepers arms when well placed.
Ely won a throw deep in the Dereham half. The long throw was flicked onto Andy Claydon who netted from close range to give the visitors a 20th minute lead. Play then became disjointed with few chances at either end. However Dereham won a penalty in the 35th minute after Bammant had been tripped in the box. Gary Starling, who missed from the spot for the first time on Saturday, confidently sent Lee Pacey the wrong way for the equaliser.
Ely soon had an opportunity to restore the lead but Josh Curry diverted Lewis McDonald's cross from the left high and wide at the far post. However the visitors nudged themselves in front again in the 50th minute when Richard Gammond drilled home a 20 yarder after another long throw unsettled the home defence.
You may also want to watch:
Ely had two further chances before Dereham's Bammant powerfully headed Starling's free kick over the bar in the 70th minute. From their next attack Bussens spread play wide to the left and Bammant delivered a perfect low cross that enabled Sam Borror to sweep the ball home from close range to restore parity.
The Magpies were now pressing hard and Bammant had a shot charged down before Starling curled a free kick narrowly wide with keeper Pacey unmoved. With two minutes remaining Bammant was needlessly upended again in the box by Darren Coe who was red carded. Adam Gusterson coolly slotted home the spot kick to put Dereham in front. As Dereham celebrated keeper Pacey was also dismissed for dissent. The home side kept Ely at bay for the remaining minutes to take the points.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 5 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 9 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 10 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones