Dereham Town 3 Corby Town 0: Danny Beaumont at the double to secure FA Cup progress for Magies

Danny Beaumont bagged a brace against Corby. Picture: Ian Burt

Danny Beaumont bagged a brace against Corby. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Ian Burt

Dereham Town are through to the FA Cup first qualifying round after a superb win over Corby Town.

The Magpies made a great start when Danny Beaumont headed home Rhys Logan's cross to the far post in the fifth minute.

Home keeper Elliot Pride twice had to deal with crosses from the visitors who were aided by the strong breeze.

The Magpies were working hard to get the ball down and play but Corby had their first opportunity in the 23rd minute when Ollie Brown-Hill failed to convert Jordan Crawford's cross from the right.

Dereham replied immediately with David Hinton releasing Jamie Forshaw who ran on before firing over Corby keeper Paul Bastock's bar from 25 yards. The experienced Bastock was then forced to dive full-length to keep out Logan's diagonal drive.

You may also want to watch:

Dereham keeper Pride then made a superb save to tip Sam Mulready's thumping 30 yarder over the top.

Dereham had a chance to increase their lead as Ashley Jarvis sent Logan with a free run on goal but the wideman's low drive was turned aside by Bastock in the 40th minute.

Most Read

The visiting keeper then denied both Logan again and Jarvis as Dereham piled on the pressure.

Corby counter-attacked with Crawford firing just off target as Dereham enjoyed an interval lead.

The home side pressed after the restart and keeper Bastock was forced to claw the ball off Jarvis as he looked to net. They should have increased their lead in the 57th minute when Forshaw's close range effort was well saved. However, they won a free kick on the left and Beaumont's centre was deflected to Jarvis who stabbed the ball home in the 60th minute to put the Magpies two up.

Jarvis had another chance to net again in the 73rd minute but got the ball trapped under his feet.

However, the Magpies sealed the game in the 75th minute with Beaumont firing home his second goal of the match into the roof of the net from the edge of the box. The home side were the better throughout and worked hard to secure victory.

Dereham: Pride, Garner, Taylor, Linford, Eastoe-Smith, Ebbage, Logan, Hinton (Bibby 90), Jarvis (Kindred 80), Forshaw (Dodden 82), Beaumont.

Sub not used: Bean.

Corby: Bastock, Smith, Leslie (Bell 68), C Marshall (C Marshall 68), K Millar, P Malone, J Crawford, C Kennedy, J McGovern, S Mulready, O Brown-Hill (S Kinniburgh 45). Subs not used: D Smith, J Anton.

Referee: Mr W Chalmers

Attendance: 164

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter