Dereham Town 2 Tilbury 3: Magpies can’t give Matt Henman the perfect send-off

Dereham Town lost 3-2 against Tilbury in Matt Henman's last game in charge at Aldiss Park. Picture:

Dereham Town lost 3-2 against Tilbury in Matt Henman's last game in charge at Aldiss Park. Picture: Matt Usher

Matt Henman took charge of Dereham Town for the last time after nine years but it was not a happy send-off, on the field at least, as the Magpies went down to a 3-2 defeat.

Dereham created a chance in the 18th minute when Danny Beaumont's attempted chip sailed just over the top following Ryan Crisp's flick from Powley's long clearance.

However, it was Tilbury that took the lead in the 36th minute. Aaron Waters headed Conor Mead's centre down to Emiel Aiken enabling him to swivel and net from close range.

It could have been two, minutes later when Conor Mead's low ball sped menacingly across the home box with the lunging Aiken unable to apply a finishing touch.

The visitors were also first to show after the break with Aiken blazing over the bar following a fine centre from Mead. On three occasions home defender Jay Eastoe-Smith had to make timely interventions.

Dereham's Rhys Logan was heading full steam for goal until he was upended just outside the box by Arinse Vade. The Tilbury defender was clearly last man but escaped a card.

Tilbury then had a good opportunity to increase their lead when Tobias Aromolaran latched onto Vade's header and sprinted into the box before shooting wildly off target from point blank range.

Most Read

Dereham nearly restored parity with Logan's thumping left foot volley smashing against keeper Bogard's bar.

The Dockers finally increased their advantage in the 77th minute with substitute Reece Conway receiving Melaugh's pass inside the box and netting with a near diagonal drive.

Two minutes later Ryan Crisp pulled a goal back for the Magpies, after linking well with Logan, the striker slid the ball past the advancing keeper. With 10 minutes remaining Tilbury were reduced to 10 men when Vade was dismissed for a second bookable offence.

The Dockers remained positive and missed two good close range chances.

Dereham's Dion Frary combined well with Logan to set up Owen Murphy but the youngster volleyed wide.

On time Tilbury sealed victory; Francis Lewis did well to get round the home defence and set up Emiel Aiken who could not miss from close range for his second goal of the match.

However in added time Crisp scored his second goal of the game from close range but it was too late for the Magpies.

Dereham: Powley, Bitsindou, Humphrey (Abodunde 54), Linford (Murphy 67), D Frary, J Eastoe-Smith, R Logan, A Smith, R Crisp, D Beaumont, H Black (Fulcher 54). Subs all used.

Tilbury: Bogard, Mead, Turpin, Waters, Vade, Norton (Jaggs 67), Aiken, Carole, Aromolaran (Lewis 75), R Melaugh, K Smith(R Conway 46th min).

Subs all used.

Referee: Mr N Walker

Attendance: 158

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter