Dereham Town 2, Hadleigh United 0
New signing Michael Sommerfield made his debut in the Magpies defence.
Dereham made a positive start, winning a free-kick in an advanced position and a corner, but neither troubled the Essex side.
The home side took the lead in the 13th minute with an awesome strike from Billy Smith. Hadleigh keeper Daniel Heath failed to intercept a Gary Starling free kick from the left and the ball was headed out to Smith who hammered a blistering drive into the net via the left hand post.
Starling nearly caught out Heath with a 30-yard free kick before the full back delivered another free kick into the visitors' defence which, after a series of ricochets new boy Sommerfield forced the ball home to increase Dereham's lead in the 24th minute.
The Magpies continued to press with Hadleigh not proving a threat to Shaun Marshall's goal. On half-time Hadleigh forward Ollie Canfer headed over the top when well placed, but Dereham enjoyed a commanding lead.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors increased their workrate at the start of the second period and Chris McLauhghlin headed a cross from Jack Cawley wide in the 55th minute.
Play remained open but there were few chances on goal, with defences remaining on top. In the 72nd minute a strong run by Starling nearly unlocked the visitors' defence before Ollie Willis made good ground into the box but shoot way off target with his weaker left foot.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 3 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 4 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 5 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 6 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 7 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 8 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 9 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
Some over zealous challenges broke up Dereham's flow in the second half but their first half dominance gave them the points.