Dereham Town 1 Haringey Borough 2: Late heartbreak for Magpies
- Credit: Ian Burt
A late goal cost Dereham the points in a tight game at Aldiss Park, writes Rene Kendal.
Haringey striker Adrian Markus missed a great chance early on when he failed to head home from close range.
Dereham then started to settle and Joe Gatting fired wide when well placed before the striker rose well to powerfully head Harley Black's corner into keeper Harry Palmer's arms in the 16th minute.
Dereham continued to probe looking for an opening but the visitors looked dangerous and created a chance with Dean Fenton blazing wide from 25 yards.
After the break David Hinton made a vital interception to prevent Jorge Djassi-Samu's pass reaching Ralston Gabriel near the penalty spot.
You may also want to watch:
The Magpies were soon back on the attack and Adam Smith won possession well midway inside the visitors half before chipping an inviting ball to Ryan Crisp just outside the box. The striker took a couple of touches before cracking a superb low diagonal drive across keeper Palmer and into the net.
However, Haringey soon restored parity; keeper Glover failed to come for a cross from the left allowing visiting skipper Fenton to head the ball towards Markus who netted with an acrobatic overhead kick.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
Dereham thought they had regained the lead when, after Gatting's header struck the bar, Danny Beaumont looked to have headed home the rebound but the officials deemed the ball had not crossed the line.
Haringey had the final say when a cross from the left eluded Dan Morphew and keeper Glover enabling substitute Christopher Benjamin to net from close range in the 88th minute to seal the points for the visitors.
In added time Ralston Gabriel was dismissed for a second yellow card.
Dereham: Glover, Black, Abodunte, Linford, Frary, Morphew, Hinton, Smith, Gatting, Beaumont, Crisp (Sainsbury-Logan 71). Sub not used: Easton-Smith, Grant.
Haringey Borough: Palmer, Olufehi, O'Donoghue, Djassi-Sambu, Richards, Shefiff (Adams 45), A Setirekli (Benjamin 80), Durojaiye, Markus, Gabriel, Fenton. Subs not used: Wiler, Aristidou, McDonald.
Referee: Mr D Hanna