Dereham Town 0 AFC Hornchurch 3 – A miserable day at office for Magpies
Below-par Dereham failed to find the net again as they slumped to their second defeat of the week, writes Rene Kendal.
In the third minute Frazer Blake-Tracy hit a low drive for the Magpies – who were not helped by injuries to three key players – that visiting keeper Sam Mott could only parry. However, defender Alex Bentley was on hand to clear the loose ball. Hornchurch threatened with Tobi Joseph heading Joey Max's free-kick inches wide.
Immediately after Sam Borrer had to be replaced by Dion Frary, Hornchurch made their pressure count with Dereham keeper Andy Wilton unable to claim Junior Luke's ball to the near post allowing Joseph to net from close range. Dan Morphew forced Mott to save his downward header late in the first half as Dereham tried to force a pre-interval equaliser.
Payton Swatman replaced the injured Olly Willis at the break and was instantly required to divert Elliot Styles' drive behind for a corner. Play again was halted whilst Ryan Crisp received treatment and Dereham were forced to make their final change with Lewis Butcher entering proceedings.
Hornchurch wasted a good chance when David Knight skewed Alex Bentley's left-flank cross wide but extended their lead in the 70th minute when Joseph fired home his second from the edge of the box.
You may also want to watch:
Things got worse for the home side as keeper Wilton brought down Knight in the box and received a red card in the 75th minute. The striker beat stand-in keeper Blake-Tracy from the spot. Butcher, Lewis Sturman and Rhys Logan went close as Dereham tried to pull off a miracle.
Yet they had to thank Blake-Tracey for keeping it respectable, as he produced a double save to deny Jed Showman.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 5 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 6 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 7 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 8 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 9 Minke whale washes up on beach
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
Dereham: Wilton, Willis (Swatman), Wallace, Sturman, Howard, Morphew, Logan, Borrer (Frary), Crisp (Butcher), Tuttle, Blake-Tracy. Unused sub: Russell.
Hornchurch: Mott, Coyne, Bentley, Johnson, Styles, May, Joseph, Collis, Knight, Purcell (Poku), Luke (Chouman). Subs not used: Thompson, Smith, Pennel.
Ref: J Block