Dereham strengthen play-off credentials
Dereham returned from Crayford in Kent with a fine win against the morning league leaders.
After a circumspect start Aaron Kay sent Craig Bussens away down the right but home keeper Nick Blue claimed his low cross as Danny Beaumont looked to pounce.
However, Dereham soon went in front when the ball fell kindly to striker Shaun Bammant just inside the box and he volleyed home in fine style in the 13th minute. VCD did not respond until Uche Idemore travelled deep into the visitors' box before Jay Eastoe-Smith made a timely interception in the 23rd minute.
VCD came close in the 40th minute when James Duckworth's 20-yard diagonal volley cannoned off Viner's post with Michael Power unable to net the rebound.
VCD missed a great chance at the start of the second half after they were harshly awarded a penalty. Dereham keeper Will Viner dived to his left to save Michael Power's spot kick. The home side then pressed without penetrating the visitors' defence.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham increased their lead when Daniel Morphew headed home Aaron Kay's corner in the 61st minute. Within minutes Morphew won possession and fed Bammant who crossed to Beaumont who slotted home in the 64th minute. Things got worse for the home side when Craig and Dent were both dismissed by the referee. In the 71st minute Dereham won a penalty but home keeper Blue saved Kay's spot-kick. VCD nearly netted when Sam Gent's header struck a post following Ibemere's centre. In the 89th minute Sherwin Stanley headed a consolation goal for the home side.
VCD: Blue, Williams, Craig, Reeves, Manners, Smith, Carpenter, Dent, Power, Duckworth, Ibemere. Subs: Stanley, Gent, Dawson, Matthews, McNamara.
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 4 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 5 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 6 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 7 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 8 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 10 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
Dereham: Viner, Hawkins, Ward, Morphew, Howard, Eastoe-Smith, Howell, Kay, Bammant, Beaumont, Bussens. Subs: Downes, Greenslade, Starling, Simmonds.
Referee: Mr C O'Donnell