Dereham run riot against strugglers
Dereham's fine league form continued when they hammered their struggling North London opponents.
The Magpies made a great start finding the net direct from the kick off. After Nicky Howell's shot was saved Kyle Downes had the simple task of scoring from close range. They soon doubled their lead when Aaron Kay spread the ball to Luke Tuttle on the right who sent over a low cross that Ryan Hawkins guided home at full stretch in the 5 minute.
The visitors recovered and won three fruitless corners but Dereham soon began to press again. In the 29th minute Kay made ground through the centre of the pitch before passing to Tuttle who picked out Hawkins. The midfielder confidently drove home his second goal of the game from 22 yards to increase the lead. Two minutes later Howell was put clean through and he calmly lifted the ball over the advancing keeper Chris Duncan to notch his 100th goal for the Magpies.
As the onslaught continued Olly Willis tapped home Dereham's fifth at the far post in the 37th minute after receiving Sam Borrer's pass. On half time Hawkins completed his first half hat trick when he cushioned home Tuttle's superb ball from the right. The impressive youngster came close again with keeper Duncan turning his 20 yard shot around a post after the break.
In the 55th minute the visiting keeper did well to save Borrer's low effort. Craig Bussens then found Danny Beaumont just outside the box and he hammered home a cracking drive to make it 7-0.
You may also want to watch:
In the 65th minute Waltham's pain continued as Bussens headed in a Kay corner. Andrew Wilton made a good save to deny McKenzie a consolation goal before Howell scored his second and the Magpies' ninth goal in the 77th minute when he knocked in the loose ball after Duncan had saved Borrer's powerful header.
Beaumont made it double figures for the home side after he chased a long ball and benefited from a dreadful error by keeper Duncan in the 85th minute. On time Chinedu McKenzie did get on the scoresheet for the visitors from close range but by now his side were already humiliated.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 4 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 5 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 6 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 7 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 8 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 9 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 10 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
Dereham: A Wilton, O Willis, C Ward, S Borrer, M Howard, M Sommerfield, N Howell, A Kay, K Downes, L Tuttle, R Hawkins.
Subs: S Bammant, D Morphew, D Beaumont, C Bussens, C Charlesworth.
Waltham Forest: C Duncan, S Koffi, E Bella, R Worrell, S Ikumelo, M Twusasi, C McKenzie, L Fisher, L Scott, L Menga, O Oyewale.
Subs: M Rushy, C Taylor, C James.