Dereham rise to challenge

KEITH PEEL Dereham Town rose to the challenge in their FA Cup preliminary round match at Stowmarket. Headed goals by Danny Self and Paul Nichols earned them a 2-0 win.


Dereham Town rose to the challenge in their FA Cup preliminary round match at Stowmarket. Headed goals by Danny Self and Paul Nichols earned them a 2-0 win. Self rose to convert Brendan Foley's 13th-minute centre, and Nichols rose to seal victory from a 78th-minute Foley free-kick. Dereham will in the September 16 first qualifying round be away to Needham Market, who beat Yarmouth Town 2-0 at Wellesley Road, where Andy Jones scored in the fourth and 57th minutes. Lowestoft Town and Wisbech Town also made progress on Saturday, respectively winning 2-0 against Witham and 4-1 against Mildenhall. The Blues now visit Canvey Island, who beat Fakenham Town 4-1, while the Fenmen are away to Bury Town.

Wroxham replay tonight after drawing 1-1 with Aylesbury United at Trafford Park, with the winners then away to Woodford United, who won 3-0 at Ely.

Ross King put Lowestoft ahead with a 38th minute volley at Crown Meadow, where Russell Stock sealed victory eight minutes from time.

You may also want to watch:

“Having an extended FA Cup run is one of our targets this season,” said Blues joint manager Adie Gallagher, currently on his own at the helm while Micky Chapman recovers from a hip operation.

“We're always confident, whoever we play, and we'd like to get to the first round proper.

Most Read

“We've got a squad that is young enough and good enough to maybe achieve that.”

Danny Hammond converted two first half penalties for Wisbech, whose other goals came from Stuart Cobb and Andy Lodge.

Lewis Blois replied for Mildenhall, who had Marcus Hering sent off for the foul resulting in the second spot-kick.

Wroxham missed a string of chances before Lee Gilman's 65th-minute header broke the deadlock against Aylesbury, for whom Brett Court equalised within five minutes.

Clacton, who collected only one Premier Division point last season and only escaped relegation because AFC Sudbury and Bury Town moved up in the pyramid, recorded their second successive victory of the current campaign.

They won 3-2 against Diss Town, for whom Benny Murray and Kwame Jones (penalty) scored and who are now third from bottom with only three points from five fixtures.

Norwich United are just below them, with two points, after a 4-1 defeat at Plantation Park by Kirkley, who are now sixth.

Danny Palmer gave United a 29th-minute lead, but Kirkley stormed back with four goals in 14 second-half minutes, via Matty Barbrook, Judd C hennery, Danny Stokeld and Nathan Stone.

King's Lynn Reserves are 16th in the table after a 2-1 defeat by CRC at The Walks, where Alex Notman was their marksman.

Swaffham Town went top of Division One with a 3-0 win over Thetford Town, their goals coming from Andy Hunter, Gavin Norman and Kevin Ward.

Strikes from Gary Ingram and Gary Todd earned Gorleston a 2-0 win over March at Emerald Park, which takes them up to 14th place. Downham Town are bottom, without a point, after losing 3-1 to Godmanchester.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus