Dereham open two-point lead over Wroxham

Dereham, 3-0 home winners over Debenham LC, moved two points clear of Wroxham in the battle for the Premier Division second spot as the Yachtsmen played out a goalless draw at Haverhill.

Magpies' manager Matt Henman felt it was important his side scored before the break, and Danny Beaumont obliged with a header. 'We started the game quite brightly and it was important for us to score before half-time because we were on top. We've not scored a lot of goals of late.'

On the hour mark Beaumont added a second from the penalty spot, and Craig Bussons sealed the win with a header, although Henman felt his side could have added to their tally.

'We were not at out best, we have still got injury concerns, but it was important we got the win.

Wroxham, who took the points the previous week at home to Haverhill, forced the first early chance in the return with a Danny Bloomfield header.

A fine Haverhill shot was parried by Scott Howie for a corner and on 40 minutes a back header from Danny Self almost let in the home side.

Wroxham had a chance early in the second half when Josh Carus chipped to Gavin Lemmon who, with only the keeper to beat, was unable to stretch out a leg to finish off.

Most Read

Another good Wroxham move saw Danny Self finding Lemmon whose shot from the edge of the area was blocked for a corner, from which Damien Hilton's flick missed the target.

A Haverhill shot from just outside the area was well saved by Howie. With the game flowing end to end Wroxham had a great chance with Paul Cook beating the offside trap and dinking the ball over a defender. But with only the keeper to beat, he blazed over.

Wisbech delight at their 2-0 win at FC Clacton was overshadowed by a groin injury to skipper Paul Cousins.

Manager Steve Appleby said it hit the Fenmen after a week in which they had earned six points and a place in the League Cup final, for which his captain would now be doubtful.

Early goals from Callum Reed and Ash Stevens had the win at Clacton sewn up quickly. 'It was job done in the first 20 minutes,' said Appleby.

A combination of missed chances and heroic goalkeeping from Woodbridge's Glyn Dixon denied Norwich United victory as they were held 0-0 at home.

'We had enough chances to win it', said manager Paul Chick. 'Another day we could easily have had four of five, but it was not to be.'

The previous week's hat-trick hero Andrew Claydon missed two good chances in the second half.

Tom Jeal was making his 100th appearance for the Planters.

A mix-up between United's Joe Jefford and Ben Nower led to George Baldry shooting from the byline, his shot rolling across the face of goal.

Dixon was soon struggling with a rib injury after a collision following a corner, but he was to prove a thorn in the Planters' side, denying Ross King and Ryan Foster with two saves.

King shot wide soon after the break while Woodbridge went close when Aaron Churchyard's shot flicked off the outside of a post. The remainder of the half was played in the Woodbridge half as the Planters pressed.

Joe Jefford had a header come back off the face of the bar from a corner, although the referee had already awarded the visitors a free-kick.

Foster was the next to be denied by Dixon, and Claydon looked certain to open the scoring but headed over.

Key was denied by Dixon, before Claydon hit Key's driven cross over on the stretch from one yard.

Hadleigh United had a comfortable victory at the Wellesley as Great Yarmouth Town went down 2-0.

Ben Deacon opened the scoring on 20 minutes, the busy striker finding space and lobbing Jake Jessup.

Hadleigh continued to create the better chances and the movement of forwards Deacon and Mayhew stretched the Yarmouth defence.

The game was settled on 77 minutes through a close-range finish in a scramble.

It was the second successive home defeat for Yarmouth and extended Hadeigh's unbeaten run to eight games.

Kirkley & Pakefield succumbed to their second consecutive heavy home defeat as Stanway Rovers won 5-1.

Jack Mead's early strike cannoned back of the K&P bar and Kirkley quickly responded by taking the lead. Zak Clarke's looping cross was spilled by keeper Liam Dobson, allowing Kyle Baker to deflect in a shot.

The game-changing goal came moments before the break as Kevin Hughes' bullet header found the top corner from a flag-kick to level the scores.

Stanway dominated the second half. Dave Attridge had already brilliantly denied Ben Newson before Michael Fitzgibben's harmless cross floated into the far corner for 2-1.

Stanway's Alex Drennan headed the ball against his own post before, on 73 minutes, Michael Cheek beat keeper Attridge to the ball and made it 3-1.

Cheek scored his second and Stanway's fourth with the visitors completing their nap hand with a Ben Newson volley as the ball came back off the bar.

• Gorleston and Diss head the promotion race in the First Division after home wins while Cambridge University Press were held to a home draw.

Gorleston beat Team Bury 4-0, their lead at the top five points which puts them just four points away from a guaranteed top-three finish. Diss won 6-0 against Cornard and are one point better off than CUP, who have played two games more than the Norfolk duo.

At Gorleston, in the 18th minute a through ball from Steve Taylor set up Mitch Forbes to round the keeper and open the scoring. With half an hour gone Gorleston increased their lead, Ali McKenna scoring following a corner.

On the hour mark Darren Cockrill had a penalty saved, which knocked the Greens out of their stride for a while.

With ten minutes left Richard Woodrow threaded a ball between defenders for Chris Sandford to net his 16th goal of the season. Four minutes later Lewis Smith slotted a good pass into Forbes' run and he chipped over the advancing keeper for his 16th strike of the campaign.

Diss continued their promotion push with a sixth successive clean sheet. After five 3-0 wins in a row they scored six without reply for the second time this season, against strugglers Cornard.

Jonny King and Andy Moody scored as Diss took control, and a Stuart Garner penalty gave them a 3-0 lead in the 45th minute.

Danny Partridge made it 4-0 and the Cornard keeper was forced into some cracking saves. George Watts-Sturrock was introduced for his final game in Diss colours before he takes up coaching in the USA.

With 20 minutes remaining Partridge sprinted clear to make it 5-0, centre-half Stefan Gilding smashing home the sixth.

Thetford manager Mark Scott praised his side's character after their 3-3 home draw with Halstead.

'At 3-0 down and with 10 men, it looked like game over. But we have a great team spirit, we don't know when we are beaten,' he enthused.

With half-time approaching Halstead had built up their lead and Bruno Tavares had been sent off, Scott thought very harshly. But a Dan Jones cross forced an own goal and before the break Luke Bailey made it 3-2. Second half Simon Mann and Craig Skipp combined for Skipp to score the equaliser.

The second half could have gone either way, with keeper Mark Bowden making a vital late save.

Swaffham drew 1-1 at March. In the 69th minute Dean Mayes saved a March penalty only for the rebound to be converted.

The balance was restored in the 80th minute. A free-kick played through the defence by Jack Redhead was slid home by Richard Cornwall. The final ten minutes saw Swaffham pepper the March goal.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter