Barking 1 Dereham Town 0: Magpies pay the penalty on the road
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A first half penalty cost Dereham Town the points in a disappointing game at Barking in the Bostik League Division One North.
Sam Borrer was handed a start following his return to the Magpies from Lowestoft and it was the visitors that looked most likely in the opening stages but Danny Beaumont couldn't apply the finishing touch to Rhys Logan's cross from the left.
Barking had their first opportunity in the 23rd minute when a long ball evaded Andy Howell allowing Kieran Hughes-Mason the chance to lob Dereham keeper Elliot Pride but he fired tamely wide from 30 yards.
The game came to life in the 31st minute when Howell was adjudged to have brought down Barking's Hughes-Mason in the box.
Billy Jones confidently converted the resultant penalty to put the home side in front. Dereham replied with Logan delivering another dangerous cross that the home side headed clear.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors should have equalised on half-time when Borrer thumped the ball wildly over the bar from point blank range following another Logan cross from the right.
At the start of the second half Matt Castellan was forced to head Tim Abiola's testing cross to safety. Dereham began to link their passing better without finding a route to goal.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 3 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 4 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 5 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 6 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 7 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 8 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 9 Man who felt lonely caught drink-driving, court hears
- 10 IN PICTURES: The businesses still going strong in lockdown
In the 59th minute Jamie Forshaw picked up a loose ball and hit a 30-yard volley that flew narrowly wide. The striker then narrowly missed the target with a free kick from long range.
The Magpies came desperately close to the equaliser in the 87th minute when Jake Anema headed Seamus Kelleher's corner on to the post. Dereham then won another corner that Castellan headed off target at the far post.
Barking: Olajide, Tardard, Nesbitt, O'Brien, Adeyemi, Abiola, Jones, Seymour, Tuohy (Ramadan 73), Hughes-Mason (Gilchrist 80), Peart (Jaffa 87). Subs not used: Bademosi, Margo.
Dereham: Pride, Anema, Taylor, Linford (Burgers 82), Castellan, Howell, Logan, Hinton, Forshaw, Borrer, Beaumont (Kelleher 69). Subs not used: Bitsindou, Fitch.
Referee: Mr T Fell