Dereham high-jump star Chris Baker finishes eighth in Diamond League Golden Gala meeting in Rome
- Credit: British Athletics via Getty Imag
Dereham athlete Chris Baker finished eighth out on 11 competitors in the high jump competition at last night's Diamond League meeting in Rome.
Baker posted a height of 2.24m to end the event well behind winner Bohdan Bondarenko.
The Ukrainian jumped 2.33m to push Robbie Grabarz into second place on 2.30m, the British number one's best display of the season.
Meanwhile Olympic long jump champion Greg Rutherford continued his unbeaten run in 2016 with a victory.
The 29-year-old Briton, also the reigning world and European champion, posted a season best of 8.31metres in the second round to dominate the event.
You may also want to watch:
'I've started pretty well and I generally raise my game at the high level' said Rutherford, who is also due to compete at Sunday's Birmingham Diamond League, as is Baker.
American Marquise Goodwin finished behind Rutherford, who will bid to defend his Olympic title in Brazil later this summer, with a best leap of 8.19m.
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 4 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 5 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 6 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 7 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 8 Road through village closed by floodwater
- 9 13 cars targeted in tyre-slashing spree
- 10 Coronavirus outbreak at construction company working on County Hall
It was also a strong evening for Briton's Andrew Pozzi, who finished third in the 110m hurdles, with a time of 13.37 seconds.
Lynsey Sharp crossed the line in 1 minute and 59.03 seconds to post a season best in the 800m. Steph Twell (5,000m) and Chris O'Hare (1,500m) also ran inside the Olympic qualifying standard in Rome.
In the 400m hurdles, Eilidh Doyle finished third, 100m runner Desiree Henry was fifth with a time of 11.15 seconds, while James Dasaolu won the 100m B race in a season best of 10.11.
American sprinter Justin Gatlin was victorious in the main event in a time of 9.93 seconds.