Depleted King’s Lynn Stars can do little to stop Wolverhampton in cup opener
- Credit: Ian Burt
Team boss Dale Allitt felt King's Lynn had been victims of circumstance as Wolverhampton cruised to a 54-36 KO Cup win at the Adrian Flux Arena.
The Stars were without the reserve pairing of Kai Huckenbeck and Simon Lambert, who scored 13 between them against Swindon in their last home outing, before Nicklas Porsing dropped out due to injury.
The hosts were up against it from the off as Wolves took heat advantages from six straight races to lead by 14 after eight. Even the stubborn resistance of Chris Holder and Troy Batchelor was not enough to prevent the return leg at Monmore Green on Monday, June 26 becoming mission impossible.
'You don't go into any meeting wanting to lose regardless of the situation,' said Allitt. 'It was very hard. Losing a couple of riders in a couple of days didn't help, nor did the rules and regulations which made us use riders on Championship averages at this level. That limited us massively.
'We missed the reserve power we had against Swindon. Simon and Kai were big losses at the worst possible time, we had our weakest team of the season available to face the best team in the league.
You may also want to watch:
'You have to take the positives out of it, though. Chris continues to get better and better which is good to see, while Troy had another good night too.'
The Stars have little time to recover with a trip to Somerset in the Premiership on Friday night (7.30pm).
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
King's Lynn 36: Troy Batchelor 12, Chris Holder 10+2, Lewis Rose 5, Robert Lambert 4, Carl Wilkinson 4, Jake Knight 1, Nicklas Porsing R/R.
Wolverhampton 54: Jacob Thorssell 13, Freddie Lindgren 11, Sam Masters 9+1, Rory Schlein 8+3, Kyle Howarth 6+1, Nathan Greaves 4, Mark Riss 3+1.