Defying the elements produces little reward
SEA FISHING: As expected the weather has kept a lot of rods off the region's beaches. Those that have ventured out in the Arctic conditions haven't been rewarded for their enterprise.
In the deep south of the patch there are a few dabs with the pin whiting at Sizewell and Dunwich. Orford and Aldeburgh have been quiet – all I've heard reported have been whiting and not too many of those have been sizeable.
An intrepid group fished a match on Lowestoft's South Pier over the weekend, just over 8oz claiming top spot for Andy Cran, with Mel Nicholl second and Taome Wells third – hard going by anyone's reckoning.
It's no better around Yarmouth either, whiting and occasional flats making up the catches here. It's starting to look bleak for the main part of this season now.
I was convinced with the numbers of large fish caught last year that some lucky rod would snare a beach caught 20lb plus cod. The only one I've heard of came from Orford a while ago, but there's still a little time left.
You may also want to watch:
Flats and whiting have been the mainstay on east Norfolk's beaches. Odd small codling have shown at Trimingham though you have to put in a lot of time for not a lot of fish.
The shingle in north Norfolk has produced as many blanks as it has catch reports. I think since the rough weather started a couple of weeks back it hasn't quite regained the consistency it had at the start of the month.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 6 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 7 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 8 Former village pub for sale as home
- 9 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
Looking ahead to the holiday period, we are at least getting some respite from the low temperatures we've seen recently. The weather is due to warm significantly into the weekend and with the wind going northerly on Thursday, the early part of the weekend might see a few feeding from Cromer to Yarmouth and at least it shouldn't be as cold.