Deeping Rangers 1 Dereham Town 0
- Credit: Archant
Dereham's inability to score again cost them dearly as they exited the FA Cup.
The Magpies have scored in just one game this season – a 2-0 Ryman League North win at Heybridge Swifts – and their strikers were again unable to fire at the weekend.
After a fluent start from both sides, Deeping's Jason Kilbride struck a low drive just off target in the ninth minute.
Dereham won a corner on the right, home keeper Danny Bircham made a hash of punching Fraser Blake-Tracy's in-swinger to safety with defender Tom Smith completing the clearance. Minutes later poor control from Sam Borrer denied him a shooting chance.
As play switched ends, Deeping's Scott Mooney blazed high and wide from distance and then glanced Tom Smith's ball from the left wide when well placed in the 25th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham came close to breaking the deadlock in the 33rd minute – keeper Will Vinner launched a long ball forward towards Dion Frary who flicked it on to skipper Borrer, whose 20-yard drive looked to be heading for the net until keeper Bircham made a superb acrobatic save.
The winner came on 38 minutes. Dereham lost possession just inside their own half, Fraser Sturgess fed Mooney, who beat Vinner with a low drive.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 4 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 7 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Loan possibility remains for Skipp
There was almost a quick reply, but Borrer just diverting Swatman's free-kick wide through a crowd of players. Dereham pressed after the break with Frary blazing wide and Jake Anema seeing a far-post header blocked.
Deeping: Bircham, Flack, Smith, Burton-Jones, Cotton, Hunnings, Kilbride, Tinkler, Mooney, Coupland, Sturgess. Subs not used: Porter, Carter, Goldson-Williams, Marsden.
Dereham: Vinner, Swatman, Sturman (Butcher 65), Anema, Morphew, Frary (Bialasik 70), Blake-Tracy, Crisp, Borrer, Logan (Cook 70). Subs not used: R Linford.
Referee: C Darling.