Debutant Hipperson saves a point for Magpies
Harleston Magpies Ladies 1, Ipswich 1: Magpies halted Ipswich's perfect winning record this season as they picked up their first point since the opening day of the campaign.
The hosts handed National League debuts to Anouska Hipperson, Holly Baker and Tania Pendreich, while they also welcomed Becky Baker back to central defence.
Magpies created the first scoring opportunity when a penalty corner strike was cleared by the Ipswich defence.
It was the visitors who went ahead in the 17th minute when forward Micha Knowles took advantage of some poor defending to score.
Magpies continued to put pressure on the visitors' defence and created several goalscoring chances, but they went into half-time trailing 1-0.
You may also want to watch:
In the second half, the Magpies forward line worked hard to force mistakes from the Ipswich defence. Hannah Palmer and Verity Blyth combined down the right to find Hipperson at the top of the circle and her shot went narrowly wide.
Magpies thought they had equalised when a penalty corner strike from Becky Baker beat the keeper and found the back board, but after an appeal from the Ipswich defence, the umpires consulted and disallowed the goal.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 5 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 6 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 7 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 8 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 9 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 10 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
The next penalty corner produced a good save from the Ipswich keeper after Angie Wheelhouse deflected the ball to the far post, where Blyth's shot was smothered.
Magpies' defence of Lizzie Jones, Katrina Warnes and Baker limited Ipswich's chances, but one counter-attack forced a good save from Lisa Griffin.
The hosts grabbed the equaliser after the decision to switch routines at a penalty corner paid dividends. Hipperson beat the keeper with a fierce strike to cap an impressive first team debut with a goal and this time the Ipswich appeal was unsuccessful.
Magpies, with player of the match Frances Sumner prominent, continued to threaten until the final whistle but the match finished all-square.
• Canterbury 5, Harleston Magpies Men 1
Magpies let an early lead slip before succumbing to a third successive heavy defeat on Saturday.
Leading scorer Ben Wright returned to the side after missing the previous weekend's defeat to Oxted and he put the visitors in front in the 11th minute.
But a disastrous 10-minute spell either side of half-time saw Magpies crumble.
Nathaniel Joy equalised for Canterbury on 34 minutes, before Liam Foster put the hosts ahead on 37 minutes.
David Matthews then fired a 16-minute hat-trick as the Magpies remained second from bottom.