Davis and Cains share spoils in Swaffham PGA pro-am
- Credit: Archant
Chase Davis maintained his impressive start to the new season by sharing top spot at the fourth Norfolk PGA pro-am of the year.
The 29-year-old from Marriott Sprowston Manor followed up his success at Sheringham the previous week by finishing joint top with home player Nic Cains at Swaffham.
On a breezy day that made it tough for all the players, the pair both came in with one over par 72s which left them two clear of nearest challengers, Mark Allen (Eaton) and Ross Hudson (Wensum Valley).
Davis' excellent form has propelled him up to third in standings in the 2017 Order of Merit, which is shaping up to be a battle royale, with just five points separating the top four. Defending champion Ian Ellis of Great Yarmouth and Caister leads the way on 24, closely followed by Barnham Broom's Matthew Gardner (21), Davis (21) and Cains (19).
Ellis missed a chance to stretch his lead at Swaffham when he recorded a five over 75 to finish joint fifth with home professional Alan Wright.
You may also want to watch:
Davis is delighted to have found some form ahead of a big season, which will once again see him battling for honours on the East PGA circuit. He finished an impressive fourth in the regional Order of Merit last season and his target this summer is to better that and get into the end of season play-offs, when pros from across the country battle for the places in the European Tour's flagship event, the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth,
'I was pleased with the way it went last year and hopefully I can build on that by getting into the top three this time,' said Davis, who was twice pipped in play-offs by seasoned Tour players (Simon Khan and Robert Coles). 'To play in the PGA at Wentworth would obviously be a dream come true – but whatever happens this will be a memorable year for me as I am getting married in September!'
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 9 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 10 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
Twenty teams competed in the pro-am with Cains' quartet winning by two. Full details: 132 Nic Cains with Phil Patience, Tony Martin and Paul Cains, 134 Will Woodrow with Cally Piggot, Pete Stott and Steve Bacon, 135 Neil Mitchell with Hamish Fleming, Chris Page and Paul Izzard. Nearest the pins: Sharon Allen, Phil Patience.