Dan Zelos sets new lap record but is still looking to master art of starting
- Credit: Archant
Dan Zelos once more demonstrated his speed behind the wheel of his Evergreen Tyres supported Renault UK Clio Cup racer by setting a new lap record at Thruxton Circuit.
The Dereham driver had earlier secured front row starts for both races as he showed a deft touch behind the wheel at this most daunting of circuits.
'On the front row of the grid for both races. Well please with that and shows Donington was no flash in the pan,' said Zelos, who had secured pole position at the previous round at the Leicestershire circuit.
However, just as at Donington, the local racer has yet to fully master the starting technique required and he was again swamped at the start of the opening event.
Pushed back to fifth place at the end of the opening lap Zelos lost four more places on the following tour and another two positions on the third but fought back to finish a disappointed 10th.
You may also want to watch:
Race two started in the same fashion with Zelos pushed back to fifth place, which he consolidated, to match his best ever finishing position plus he set a new lap record in the process at the Hampshire track.
'We leave Thruxton with perhaps not the results we were hoping for, 10th and fifth, but a huge amount of promise and potential,' said Zelos.
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
After an impressive display at Donington Park Harry Webb found scoring points in the F4 British Champion Certified by FIA much harder to come by at Thruxton.
The Topcroft racer started the opening encounter from the last row of the grid but still managed to claim the final championship point for 10th place having denied Jamie Sharp the position two laps from home.
In race two Webb briefly held eighth place but Sharp got his revenge to demote the local racer to 10th once more with five laps to run.
The final race saw Webb and Sharp again battle for position, after Webb stormed into eighth place having started 13th on the grid.
But once again Sharp demoted the local racer back to ninth place this time.
However, on the positive side Webb has moved up to second place in the Challenge Cup points table.