Great Yarmouth riders rewrite the record books at Breckland 50 event
- Credit: Archant
Great Yarmouth teams had a grand day at the CC Breckland 50, with members of the town cycling club revising long-standing records while the locally-based DAP CC took high placings and the event team prize.
Great Yarmouth CC’s Mark Thompson broke the 29-year-old club record with 1:52:20, Jonathan Lincoln backed up with 1:55:08 while Julian Claxton recorded 1:57:06 – all three achieved personal bests. Claxton’s time includes that lost when he fell at a roundabout – he was one of 15 or so caught out by unexpectedly heavy showers.
Race favourite Dan Bigham was caught out by technology – pulling his wheel over twice and retiring.
Fastest to the first Browick turn (15 miles) was Yarmouth rider Harley Matthews, 31 seconds ahead of eventual winner Mark Smith (Crawley Whs), with Matthews’ DAP CC club-mate Mark Richards just three seconds slower than Crawley.
However, Matthews lost his rhythm as the storm hit and the win finally went to Smith in a course record 1:38:51. Richards was close on 1:38:53 and Matthews third in 1:40:00 dead – exactly 30mph. DAP CC took the team prize with veteran Nick Esser (1:53:25) the third counter.
New national age records were set by East Anglian Vets chairman Andrew Grant (1:45:57 at the age of 67) and by Hertfordshire rider Jackie Field, who was also fastest woman in 1:51:27.
There were too many fast times to list. Lowestoft rider Paul Hayward improved his already highly respectable “50” time by six minutes – and still finished outside the fastest 30.
- 1 Distraught Norwich City fan 'lost £98k in football betting site collapse’
- 2 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 3 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 4 Sale of council farm as part of 4,000 homes plan sparks controversy
- 5 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 6 Roadworks planned in Norfolk for this week
- 7 Lorry crashes into ditch in village near Norwich
- 8 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 9 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
- 10 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
Both men’s and women’s course records were broken in the Diss & District 25 on the rural Bressingham to Thetford and backs course. Beccles rider Zac Herrod took well over a minute off Ben Stancombe’s 2019 record to set the new mark at 51:12 while Becky Ridge (TPH) knocked 40 seconds off Denise Hurren’s time to move the women’s record to 1:01:11.
Conditions were not especially favourable – overcast with a moderate crosswind. Tricyclist Mark Vowells dominated the Veterans on Age Standard result, with VC Baracchi’s Nick Partridge next best , finishing in 54:31, good enough for sixth overall to boot.