Cup delight for Hethersett
Billericay Ladies 1, Hethersett Athletic Ladies 5A five-star performance saw Hethersett Athletic Ladies win the Eastern Region Women's League Cup for the third consecutive season.
Billericay Ladies 1, Hethersett Athletic Ladies 5
A five-star performance saw Hethersett Athletic Ladies win the Eastern Region Women's League Cup for the third consecutive season.
In many ways this was the most satisfying of the three victories, coming from a young and relatively inexperienced side that has struggled in recent weeks. Hethersett once again rose to the occasion magnificently, with a display of pace and power that at times unnerved their Essex opponents.
The opening exchanges were even, before Hethersett hit Billericay with a classic one-two. On 31 minutes, Emily Coates was hauled over in the area and stepped up to score from the resultant penalty. Six minutes later, Coates chased down a through-ball and rounded the keeper to tap into the net.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw strong pressure from Billericay and, for a while, Hethersett began to wobble, with the Essex side pulling a goal back on 55 minutes and looking capable of equalising. Hethersett had other ideas, however, and went close on a number of occasions before Grace Birchall ran onto an inch-perfect pass to crash home.
From that point on, there was no stopping Hethersett. On 80 minutes substitute Natasha Snelling broke down the left and centred for Emma Mulley to smash an unstoppable shot into the top corner. Mulley made it a nap hand four minutes from time with another superb strike to round off a performance that deservedly earned her the player-of-the-match award.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 7 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 8 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 9 Petrol station staff to receive awards for attempting to save baby's life
- 10 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
Twelve of the winning Hethersett squad were under 18 and only two, Emily Coates and Lisa Ferdani, featured in the first final win in 2008.