Cup delight for Hethersett
Billericay Ladies 1, Hethersett Athletic Ladies 5A five-star performance saw Hethersett Athletic Ladies win the Eastern Region Women's League Cup for the third consecutive season.
Billericay Ladies 1, Hethersett Athletic Ladies 5
A five-star performance saw Hethersett Athletic Ladies win the Eastern Region Women's League Cup for the third consecutive season.
In many ways this was the most satisfying of the three victories, coming from a young and relatively inexperienced side that has struggled in recent weeks. Hethersett once again rose to the occasion magnificently, with a display of pace and power that at times unnerved their Essex opponents.
The opening exchanges were even, before Hethersett hit Billericay with a classic one-two. On 31 minutes, Emily Coates was hauled over in the area and stepped up to score from the resultant penalty. Six minutes later, Coates chased down a through-ball and rounded the keeper to tap into the net.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw strong pressure from Billericay and, for a while, Hethersett began to wobble, with the Essex side pulling a goal back on 55 minutes and looking capable of equalising. Hethersett had other ideas, however, and went close on a number of occasions before Grace Birchall ran onto an inch-perfect pass to crash home.
From that point on, there was no stopping Hethersett. On 80 minutes substitute Natasha Snelling broke down the left and centred for Emma Mulley to smash an unstoppable shot into the top corner. Mulley made it a nap hand four minutes from time with another superb strike to round off a performance that deservedly earned her the player-of-the-match award.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 2 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 3 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 4 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 5 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 6 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 7 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 8 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 9 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 10 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
Twelve of the winning Hethersett squad were under 18 and only two, Emily Coates and Lisa Ferdani, featured in the first final win in 2008.