Culverhouse delighted as committed Linnets respond with a victory
- Credit: IAN BURT
Linnets boss Ian Culverhouse had nothing but praise for his players after they secured their first victory under his guidance.
Goals from Shaun McWilliams and Tom Ward wiped away the memories of the previous week's inauspicious performance at Hitchin as Stratford Town were beaten at The Walks.
Lynn's commitment delighted Culverhouse, who said: 'I'm pleased for the boys because it's all about the players. They play the game and I think they responded really well.
'They were tremendous and you can't fault their effort, which was pleasing because I thought we surrendered quite easily last week.
'That's not what we've got to be. We've got to be a side that gives 100pc for 95 minutes.'
You may also want to watch:
The former Norwich City defender admitted Lynn's victory wasn't just down to hard work.
'We dipped in and out but we just played in areas today. It wasn't pretty, but the pitch doesn't allow you to be pretty,' said Culverhouse.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
'I said to the players in the dressing room that sometimes you have to find a way to win games and they did that.'
Culverhouse picked out young defender Chris Ward for acclaim following his belated return to first team action.
'I went and watched him (Chris) for the reserves in the week and I must say that this club is in good stead.
'There are three or four who could quite easily come into this group and they will do. They will get their chance before the end of the season.
'Chris was superb today and he's set his stall out now.
'That's the level he's got to keep and for his first game for a long time – I didn't think he looked as though he had been away that long.'
Lynn: Street, Zielonka, C Ward, Fryatt, T Ward, Everington, Clunan, McWilliams (McQuaid 80), Hilliard, Revan (Edge 69), Warburton (Yong 75). Sub not used: Congreve.
Goals: McWilliams 3, T Ward 63.
Stratford: Cooper, Summerfield, Hancocks, Fry, Kalenda (Fitzharris 29), Delfouneso, Forsyth (Ahenkorah 76), Grocott, Francis, Marsden, Stephens. Subs not used: Tulloch, Taylor and Spencer.
Referee: W Potter (Bourne).