County trims performance squad to 27
Norfolk have streamlined their performance squad ahead of the 2011 campaign.
The squad has been trimmed from 32 to 27, with three winter training sessions planned for early next year.
There are no major surprises among the named players, although player/coach Chris Brown stressed that players not selected had not been ruled out of contention: 'Those on the fringes who perform well for their club sides will still be considered for selection, but I would expect this 27 to make up the majority of the first-team squad for the coming season,' he said.
'We decided to reduce the numbers slightly this year because we want to try and improve the quality of the training sessions.'
Among the uncapped players are Horsford duo, left arm spinner Ryan Findlay and batsman Jonny Atkinson, Fakenham seamer Angus Stuart, Cromer all-rounder Michael Warnes and Downham all-rounder Patrick Yates.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich all-rounder Ashley Watson is set to be available after missing a large chunk of last season while on RAF duty, and hard-hitting opener Ben Patston will return to the fray, having missed the 2010 campaign to play rugby in New Zealand.
The squad will get together for indoor training sessions at Taverham Hall on January 23, February 27 and March 27.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 5 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 6 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 7 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 8 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
• Norfolk performance squad: George Walker (capt, Swardeston), Chris Brown, (player/coach, Horsford), Martin Addison (Vauxhall Mallards), Sam Arthurton (Great Witchingham), Jonny Atkinson (Horsford), Chris Borrett (Norwich), Paul Bradshaw (Vauxhall Mallards), Harry Bush (Norwich), Luke Caswell (Horsford), Tom Collishaw (Great Witchingham), Michael Eccles (Swardeston), Ryan Findlay (Horsford), Stephen Gray (w/k, Fakenham), Peter Lambert (Swardeston), Jonathan Miles (Sleaford), Ben Patston (Norwich), Carl Rogers (Great Witchingham), Darren Smith (w/k, Horsford), James Spelman (Great Witchingham), Sam Thelwell (Swardeston), Addam Todd (Downham), Angus Stuart (Fakenham), Aaron Watson, Ashley Watson (both Norwich), Trevor Ward (Leicester Ivanhoe), Michael Warnes (Cromer), Patrick Yates (Downham).
• Five of Norfolk's brightest young cricketing talents have been inducted onto the ECB's Emerging Players programme, run by the Norfolk Cricket Board.
Sam Hunt (Horsford), Swardeston duo Callum Taylor and Matthew Taylor, Kristian Willman (Diss) and Matthew Plater (Vauxhall Mallards) are taking part in the programme, which sees them receive coaching sessions from Norfolk player/coach Chris Brown.