County Arts pair miss out in national final
- Credit: James Bass
County Arts duo Bryan Sadler and Brian Taylor were beaten in the final of the National Men's Over 60 Pairs title at the Nottingham indoor bowls club.
The pair, who were half of last year's winning Over 60 fours title-winning quartet, lost 15-8 to Wellingborough's Bob Fuller and Walt Winsor.
The final was an attritional affair, with no quarter asked or given, at least for the first 12 ends. Shots were so hard to come by that, by that stage, only 13 shots had been scored, and County Arts were 7-6 in front.
A treble for Wellingborough put them 9-7 ahead and they gradually took control, although Winsor admitted that he could never relax until the 18th end, on which County Arts needed to score six shots to tie – a task that proved impossible.
In the semi-finals, Sadler and Taylor beat Folkestone's Dave Merrills and Colin Elson, although their 7-0 lead turned into an 11-12 deficit, before a 2-2-1-1 sequence saw them home 17-13.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 7 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 8 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 9 Transport plans approved despite 'lack of' climate change measures
- 10 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed