Could Sexton v Rogan III be on the cards for Norwich heavyweight boxer?
- Credit: PA
Norwich boxer Sam Sexton could be in line for a sensational return to the white-hot atmosphere of the Belfast boxing ring as he continues his bid to climb back up the domestic heavyweight rankings.
Sexton is back in action after 18 months out of the ring and makes his second comeback fight at tomorrow night's final Norwich boxing show of 2015.
And with a wide open heavyweight division, there is more than a possibility that another clash with Martin Rogan could be pencilled in to his diary. Sexton's two trips to Belfast to take on – and beat – home favourite Rogan in 2009 are the stuff of local boxing folklore after he emerged intact from the bear pit of the Odyssey Arena and its partisan support. Rogan at 44 is in line for an Irish championship fight with Sean Turner.
'Rogan is now getting in the mix over in Ireland with Sean Turner so proves it is never over until it's over,' said Sexton's trainer Graham Everett.
'Martin is a warrior we know – it's all about right place, right time, right fight. Maybe Rogan Sexton III is on the cards. If the money is right and it benefits us we will do it. He has done him twice, he can do him again, simple as that.'
You may also want to watch:
Sexton returned to action with a points win over tough Pole Kamil Sokolowski in September, and Everett is delighted with the 31-year-old's progress.
He said. 'I've been very, very pleased. I think he knows he has to do it now. I believe that although he has won titles, through maybe not his own fault, he has underachieved. He was a very good heavyweight, but a lot of problems held him back at a very important part of his life.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 8 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 9 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 10 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region
'But he isn't too old, the division is wide open and we would be glad to get back into the mix. Sam is looking trim, fit and focused and seems happy in his personal life. Every week he is getting better.'