Colin Oates’ dreams of judo glory are snuffed out in the first round
- Credit: PA
Norfolk's Colin Oates saw his medal hopes snuffed out in his very first match of the Olympic judo competition yesterday.
The Commonwealth Games champion from North Lopham exited the under-66kg judo competition in the first round against France's Kilian le Blouch.
Neither man scored an attacking point, sending the bout to golden point, in which the first to score wins.
However, Oates, 33, committed a third shido, or foul, leaving le Blouch to progress.
It was a big anti-climax for the Norfolk man, who had made progress in the 2012 competition in London before having to settle for seven place.
You may also want to watch:
Fellow Brit Ashley McKenzie exited the judo competition on Saturday, beaten by world champion Yeldos Smetov.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 5 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 6 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 7 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 8 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 9 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 10 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region