Colchester 23, Diss 17

Diss suffered their second successive defeat in London 1N, having won their opening match in impressive fashion.

Diss started the match in what is becoming a typically slow and lacklustre way. The visitors allowed the home side to develop a 17-point lead in the first quarter, a lead that would have been greater if not for some poor handling.

It was a game that only livened up in the second half after some strong words from coach Phil Sharpe that could be heard across the pitch.

Diss started to show what they are capable of with some good running lines from the backs and dominance of the set-piece by the forwards. Injuries to Colchester players resulted in long breaks in play and this, coupled with very short periods of advantage being played, meant neither side could develop any continuity in their play.

Diss did not lose faith and it was clear to see their confidence building. A disallowed try for Bliss was followed by a penalty and then a try by captain Matt Richards, taking the score to 20-10. The last minutes saw a flurry of activity, with another try for Diss, converted by Beaird, a player from each side being harshly sent off and a penalty for Colchester.

Diss knew that this was going to be a tough start to the season but they must reflect on wasted opportunities and a lack of aggression. They will be trying to put things right next Saturday when they take on Letchworth at Mackenders.

• Diss II beat Norwich 28-0 with tries from captain Seb Goodge (2), Giles West and Matt Trede, all of which were converted by Goodge.

Most Read

Wisbech 43 Harlow 7

Wisbech kicked off their return to higher-level rugby with a resounding victory over Harlow.

The Harecroft Road outfit, who were promoted back to London 3NE at the first time of asking last season, were 7-0 down before storming into a 12-7 lead at the break.

Tries from Joe Barfoot, converted by Mark Laws and an unconverted score from James Griffin helped Cliff Humphreys' outfit claw their way back into the game and they breezed to victory with a dominant second-half display.

Tries from Shane Vickers, Barfoot and Laws – who added four conversions and a penalty – rounded off a solid team performance.