Clevedon Town 3, King's Lynn 1

Clevedon Town v King's Lynn: Team news for the Linnets, who were playing their first Saturday league away game since 23 September when they drew at Bath, was that skipper Mark Warren was fit to return after missing the mid-week FA trophy victory over Windsor and Eton.

Clevedon Town 3, King's Lynn 1

Team news for the Linnets, who were playing their first Saturday league away game since 23 September when they drew at Bath, was that skipper Mark Warren was fit to return after missing the mid-week FA trophy victory over Windsor and Eton.

Jack Defty, injured in that game, failed a pre-match fitness test so Matt Nolan took the number 7 shirt. Steve Melton retained his place with Matt O'Halloran, who also took a knock at Windsor, reverting to the bench.

Straight from the kick off Notman played Nolan in and his snapshot from distance caused Greaves problems in the home goal. Then from a free kick conceded by Warren, the ball came out to Hapgood whose shot was deflected for a corner. The resulting flag kick from Marshall was easily claimed.

You may also want to watch:

The breakthrough came in the ninth minute from the penalty spot when Frew was brought down by goalkeeper Greaves when through on goal. Greaves was promptly sent off and the substitute goalkeeper Jacobs could do nothing about Notman's spot-kick which gave the Linnets the lead.

Frew was causing problems on the break he put in a dangerous cross midway through the first half but the ball was cut out with Melton lurking.

Most Read

Nolan and Camm then combined to give Frew a chance but the striker dragged his shot wide.

Clevedon responded with a left wing cross from Clarke which Cooper was forced to head for a corner.

Lynn were reduced to 10 men in the 33rd minute when Melton was sent off for dissent.

Clevedon tried to seize the initiative and broke down the right wing to give centre forward Page a glorious close-range chance. But Marshall came to the Linnets' rescue with a great one-handed save.

Frew again got away on the right for Lynn and laid the ball back to Nolan whose lob-cum-shot drifted just wide. Little had been seen of the home attack as Lynn ended the half well in control despite having a man sent off.

The final action of the half saw Nolan head on a goal kick for Frew once again to use his pace and he was unlucky as his fierce drive skidded just wide.

At the start of the second half a Lynn defender conceded a foul in the penalty area to give Hapgood a chance to bring the home side level from the resulting spot kick which he did comprehensively beating Marshall. Clevedon were unlucky not to take the lead when Hapgood's floated ball deceived the Lynn keeper and landed on the crossbar. With the wind in their favour the home side were now posing much more of a threat and only a last ditch tackle from Charlie Defty denied Pitcher a shooting chance. Clevedon's fullback Romhdane was cautioned for a foul on Cooper. The Lynn centre-half moved forward for a shot but it was charged down. Notman picked up the rebound again to have the effort blocked. Frew had a third attempt but Jacobs got down to save. Cooper again found a shooting chance for Lynn but his strong shot passed across the face of goal. At the other end Clevedon centre-forward Page had a clear chance but was again denied by Marshall. From the resulting corner Charlie Defty cleared off the line. On 70 minutes Lynn made a substitution bringing on O'Halloran. Immediately after Clevedon took the lead from a throw in. Jack Pitcher picked up the loose ball and his low shot deceived Marshall to find the bottom corner. Lynn responded when Nolan put O'Halloran away on the left and from his cross Lynn had strong penalty appeals turned down, Nolan stabbing the loose ball just wide. Clevedon then attacked down their right and Hapgood's cross was only cleared with difficulty. Nolan was then cautioned for a foul as Lynn made a second substitution bringing on Norris for West. Lynn were trying desperately to preserve their long unbeaten away record but time was running out and an error from Charlie Defty in the 90th minute allowed Jack Pitcher an unopposed run on goal to seal the win for the home side.

Final score Clevedon Town 3, King's Lynn 1.

Attendance: 207.

King's Lynn: Marshall, West, Charlie Defty, Warren (capt), Cooper, Camm, Nolan, McMahon, Frew, Notman, Melton. Subs: Norris, Harvey, O'Halloran, Higgs.

Clevedon Town: Greaves, Scott, Romhdane, Bater, Trought, Clarke, Hapgood, Mullings, Page, Pitcher, Haines. Subs: Rawlins, Jacobs, Sheppard, Murray.

Referee: Mr D Eaton.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus