Clarke the star of vets super show
A Norfolk quartet won the Midlands Vets team championship at Edgbaston, finishing seven shots ahead of Suffolk.
The team was England senior international and Norfolk senior champion Jo Ashmore (Barnham Broom), county captain Nickie Clarke (Royal Norwich), vice-captain Alex Cowie (Barnham Broom) and past captain Jean Johnson (Hunstanton).
Clarke, who played below her handicap on both days of the 36-hole medal, also won the best individual net prize. She said: 'It wasn't a long course but the greens were very difficult with very subtle borrows that caught everyone out. We led after the first day by one shot and beat Suffolk by seven shots overall.'
The Midland Vets is open to anyone in the county who is over 50 and it runs several competitions through the year. Anyone who is interested in joining should contact Jean Johnson for a form: firstname.lastname@example.org
• The final of Norfolk's lady/junior knockout competition for the Young Cup, will be played tomorrow at Bawburgh. The finalists are Jessica Rutherford and Glenda Winn from Great Yarmouth & Caister and Sian Fenn-Green and Jane Sheppard from The Norfolk.
You may also want to watch:
Jessica, the Norfolk girls' captain, and Glenda made their way to the final by beating Juliet Fenton and Judy Curtis (King's Lynn) 2/1 (home); receiving a walkover from Amber Ratcliffe and Sarah Steventon (Royal Cromer) and beating Natalie Cotton and Vicky Cunningham (Fakenham) 1 up (home).
Sian and Jane beat Emma Davies and Karen Young (Eaton) 1 up (away), Alex Hacking and Cherry Valori (Sprowston Manor 6/4 (away) and Ruby Plume and Muriel Wincup (Sprowston Manor) 6/5 (away).
- 1 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 2 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 3 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 4 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 5 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 6 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 7 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 8 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 9 Delays as 23m-long caravan travels through Norfolk
- 10 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
The final starts at 12.05 and all are welcome to watch.