City's 'bug victims' expected to return

CHRIS LAKEY Staff at Norwich City remained tight-lipped yesterday over the bug that has affected a number of first team players as well as more than 20 other staff.

CHRIS LAKEY

Staff at Norwich City remained tight-lipped yesterday over the bug that has affected a number of first team players as well as more than 20 other staff.

The Canaries yesterday added only briefly to a statement released late on Tuesday, when they confirmed that about 30 people had been taken ill following a barbecue for players and staff at the club's Colney training centre on Sunday.

City said that four professionals were among those who suffered sickness and diarrhoea.

The Eastern Daily Press understands that three senior first team players as well as four youth team players were affected, although with Saturday's opening game at Preston in mind, the club have refused to give their opponents any sort of advantage by naming names.

All those affected were told to stay away from the club for three days and while the playing staff had yesterday off, it is expected that those who were hit by the bug will return to training today.

Most Read

Yesterday's statement from a club official read: "We are still awaiting the results of the food and microbiological tests at the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital Laboratory, which we expect to receive from South Norfolk Council at some point this week. Until we have these results we will not be commenting further."