Entries to City of Norwich Half Marathon suspended as Run Norwich ‘continue to monitor situation’
PUBLISHED: 09:00 16 March 2020 | UPDATED: 17:33 16 March 2020
The City of Norwich Half Marathon has suspended entries due to the uncertainty surrounding mass participation events and the coronavirus.
The event team posted a statement on their website with their decision and said they will await further guidance from the government before issuing another update before the end of the week.
The statement said: “Due to the uncertainty surrounding mass participation events and COVID-19 we have suspended entries for the race, pending further guidance from the government which we are expecting to receive in the next few days.
“The race management team will be meeting to discuss the situation and the alternative arrangements if the race has to be postponed.
“We will update you as soon as we can. Thank-you for your patience.”
The 35th edition of the event is due to take place on Sunday, April 5 when nearly 2,000 runners start at the Norfolk Showground before following a single lap through the parishes of Easton, Honingham, Colton, Barnham Broom, Marlingford and close to Easton College.
You may also want to watch:
However, the COVID-19 pandemic has thrown the majority of sports events into uncertainty.
On a local level the Mad March Hare 10K took place on Sunday with more than 400 runners taking part. It remains to be seen if that is the last event that takes place for a period of time.
The Wymondham AC committee will meet on Tuesday to discuss their Wymondham 20 plans as they wait to take into account government advice on Monday. The sold out event, which is due to be staged on Sunday, March 29, has suspended race transfers in the meantime until a decision has been made whether the race does go ahead or an alternative date is found.
Meanwhile Run Norwich organisers are continuing to monitor the situation ahead of their event scheduled for Sunday, July 19.
A statement said: “At present, the event is scheduled to go ahead as planned on Sunday 19th July, but we will be regularly assessing the situation as the next few weeks unfold and investigating our options should the need arise to postpone the event.
“Any decision will be made in accordance with government advice and we will inform you as soon as possible if anything changes. In the meantime, please ensure you follow the current advice to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect yourself and those around you.”