City of Norwich Athletic Club’s Callum Brown reaches qualifying mark for Barcelona
City of Norwich Athletic Club athlete Callum Brown is certainly making his mark early in the 2012 track and field season.
Throughout the winter months Caister hammer thrower Brown has been stringing together some impressive performances with the 6kgs implement.
Just two weeks ago in Cambridge he set a personal best with an effort of 68.55m and on Saturday in the Thetford AC Throws Meeting, held at Bury St Edmunds, he moved the hammer out to a massive 71.16m.
Not only was his effort a new personal best, but, significantly, it passed the qualifying distance required to be considered for selection to compete for Great Britain in the World Junior Track & Field Championships that will be held in Barcelona in July.
Brown's new mark places him second in the UK ranking list behind USA-based Nick Miller (Border Harriers) who has recorded a throw of 72.80m.
You may also want to watch:
With just two places available for selection, Brown is currently sitting pretty, but he will be looking over his shoulder at clubmate Michael Painter, who has already thrown 68.51m and must feel confident that the qualifying distance is well within his capabilities.
Hopefully both athletes can surpass Nick Miller's mark as it would be a wonderful achievement to have Brown and Painter representing Great Britain in Barcelona.
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 6 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 7 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 8 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
- 9 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 10 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal