Change in the derby pecking order
Beccles 11, Lowestoft & Yarmouth 29: After a few years when Beccles have taken the derby bragging rights, the worm turned on Saturday.
L&Y comprehensively outplayed their neighbours with four fine tries to earn a second bonus-point victory and establish themselves as early leaders of London 2NE.
Beccles' tactics of kicking to the L&Y back three and trying to force the mistake were obvious from the start, and fullback Josh Fewkes and his wings Dave Palmer and Dan Boardley were easily up to the task.
Full-back Josh Fewkes claimed the first try after only seven minutes after Dave Tiueti's break created room for Scott Nelson to delicately chip over the defence.
Beccles' height advantage meant a torrid day for L&Y's lineout, but a shortened line led to their second try, Steve Adams and Myles McAlone making ground towards the line before fast hands from Nelson and Tiueti sent Callum Cashman crashing over.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles hit back when Rob Wilson bunded over for an unconverted try.
But shortly afterwards a break out of defence by Russ Wilkinson was supported superbly by Nelson and Palmer and once Russ Chapman's long pass found space on the left, McAlones pace took him under the posts for try three.
- 1 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 2 IN PICTURES: The businesses still going strong in lockdown
- 3 Man who felt lonely caught drink-driving, court hears
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 6 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 7 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 8 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 9 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 10 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
Wade pulled back two penalties for Beccles, but L&Y rarely looked under pressure, knuckling down to score their bonus point try when Nelson wriggled over.
Tiueti knocked over the conversion then added a penalty to secure the win.