Canvey Island 3 Lowestoft Town 0 – Canvey too strong for Blues in action-packed encounter
- Credit: Archant
This game followed the pattern of so many others this season as a bright opening by Lowestoft faded, with no luck going in their favour.
The Blues named the same line-up that had beaten Burgess Hill in the last Ryman Premier game, Canvey though are an evolving outfit with three new players in and one out this week.
Lowestoft though started the better, with Ryan Jarvis flashing across the face of goal. Chris Henderson and Rory McAuley both tested home keeper Lewis Moore and it was not until the 15th minute that the Gulls tested the Trawlerboys defence, when Mitch Gilbey sent a vicious free-kick narrowly wide.
A great chip over the back four by Fisk released Henderson who seemed destined to score until a magnificent tackle from John Mbamarah robbed him at the last moment.
Canvey took the lead very much against the run of play.
You may also want to watch:
George Sykes, who was a thorn in Town's defence all afternoon superbly brought the ball down and squared it to Gilbey who shot straight at Jamie Waite, with the ball appearing to take an awkward bobble and squirm through the keeper's arms and into the net.
An enthralling first half ended with chances at both ends with Ryan Jarvis shooting over the top at one end and Harry Barker heading off the line at the other.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 3 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 4 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 5 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 6 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 7 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 8 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 9 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 10 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
Lowestoft survived a goalmouth scramble early in the second period with Canvey seeing four goal-bound efforts blocked in a matter of seconds, two by defenders and two by excellent Waite saves, but their luck ran out shortly afterwards when Chatting's cross saw Sykes' header superbly pushed onto the top of the crossbar but drop down inches in front of the goal to be bundled into the net by Sykes.
A third goal came six minutes from time when a quick counter saw Sykes run clear before unselfishly squaring the ball to Martin Tuohy to shoot past Waite, and McAuley was also shown his second yellow with four minutes remaining.
Canvey Island: Moore, Eyong, Pitty, Lawson, Mbamarah, Sheehan, Gilbey (Dumas 80), Mugabo, Sykes, Tuohy, Chatting (Jomanday 90), Subs not used: O'Rawe, Warren, Hayden-Smith.
Lowestoft Town: Waite, Barker, Smith (Bammant 61), Fisk, Cole, McAuley, Henderson, Rossi Jarvis (Hodd 77), Reed (Forshaw 84, Ryan Jarvis, Blake-Tracy, Sub not used: Jessup.
Referee: Mr A Williams