Canaries reach cup final
Norwich City Ladies 3, MK Dons 0Norwich City Ladies are through to the final of the SE Combination League Cup after putting three goals past MK Dons.
Norwich City Ladies 3, MK Dons 0
Norwich City Ladies are through to the final of the SE Combination League Cup after putting three goals past MK Dons.
In the final, at a date to be fixed sometime in May, they will face Gillingham Ladies who are currently top of the table.
Joint manager Emma Fletcher said: 'Whilst the league is our number one priority, we also know what an achievement it would be to win the League Cup this season.
'Gillingham will be a tough game, we haven't played them yet but they have been very vocal about their intentions this season and this will make us even more determined to want to go on and win it.'
Having faced the Dons in both league and FA Cup, Norwich were anticipating another stern test on Sunday, and the first half clearly showed that, with both sides knowing a fair bit of each other and neither outfit able to stamp their authority on the game.
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 2 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 3 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 4 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 5 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
- 6 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 7 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 8 Soldier from Norwich jailed over rape of girl
- 9 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 10 From pot washer to head chef: 17-year-old's remarkable rise to the top
However, City did manage to carve out an opportunity and Jodie Drake calmly finished past the keeper for a 1-0 half-time lead.
The second half was a somewhat different affair and City started to take control, only good goalkeeping from the Dons delaying their second goal, which was worth waiting for and thoroughly deserved by the scorer Becs Burton.
City made three changes, one of which involved Nic Bray who put City 3-0 up.
Dons continued to press forward. Their No 11 was having a fantastic game, but the City defence stood firm.
This weekend City have a chance to progress to another cup final when they face Norfolk side Acle Town Ladies at home 2pm kick off in the Norfolk and Suffolk County Cup semi finals.
Fletcher said: 'This Sunday we face a different test for a chance to progress to another cup final. Some will deem it as a 'David and Goliath' tie, but we will approach the game against Acle no differently to the way we would a league game. Acle have deserved to reach the semi-finals and I am sure they would love to go all the way."
Sunday's game kicks off at 2pm at Plantation Park, Blofield.