Canaries look to smash Man City hoodoo
DAVID CUFFLEY Norwich will be heading to Manchester City in the third round of the Carling Cup, taking on a side that are second in the Premier League after four games under the control of Sven Goran Eriksson. The Canaries have been drawn against Man City three times in the League Cup competition - but went out on each occasion.
Norwich will be heading to Manchester City in the third round of the Carling Cup.
The tie at the City of Manchester Stadium will be played the week beginning September 24. Ticket details are yet to be confirmed.
The Blues beat Bristol City 2-1 away in the second round and won three of first four opening Premier League fixtures under Sven Goran Eriksson, putting them second in the top league.
Peter Grant said: "We would have preferred a home draw. It would have been nice to take on a side of the quality of Manchester City at Carrow Road in front of a full house. But we will relish the challenge.
"Sven is a quality manager, and no one probably expected them to gel together as well as they have done so far this season. We know it will be a tough challenge. Man City will fancy their chances of winning the competition. But we will be going there looking to cause an upset."
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 4 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 5 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 6 Norfolk's 100 Jubilee street parties revealed
- 7 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 8 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
- 9 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 10 'Long-awaited in the area' - New Norfolk deli celebrates local produce
The Canaries have been drawn against Manchester City three times in the League Cup competition - but went out on each occasion.
In 1975-76, a 1-1 draw in the second round at Carrow Road and a 2-2 draw in the replay at Maine Road were followed by a 6-1 hammering in the second replay on neutral territory at Stamford Bridge.
In 1978-79, the Blues won 3-1 in the fourth round at Carrow Road after Martin Peters had given the Canaries the lead.
Mel Machin was in charge of Manchester City when Norwich suffered another defeat, 3-1 in the third round at Maine Road in 1989-90.
Damien Francis was on target as the Canaries drew 1-1 on their Premiership visit to the City of Manchester Stadium in 2004.
CARLING CUP THIRD ROUND
t Blackburn v Birmingham
t Reading v Liverpool
t Manchester United v Coventry
t Tottenham v Middlesbrough
t Hull v Chelsea
t Blackpool v Southend
t West Ham v Plymouth
t Arsenal v Newcastle
t Luton v Charlton
t Manchester City v Norwich City
t Sheffield United v Morecambe
t Sheffield Wednesday v Everton
t Fulham v Bolton
t Burnley v Portsmouth
t Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest or Leicester
t West Brom v Cardiff